The Army ROTC Freedom Battalion held their Annual Dining-In this past Friday, April 20, 2012. The following West Chester University students represented the University and Army ROTC with pride while receiving various awards:
CDT Matthew Gotzy, a fourth-year student, received the Military Order of Foreign Wars Award for exceptionally meritorious service and dedication to the advancement of the ROTC department. He also received the USAA Spirit Award for the promotion of patriotism and demonstrating a respect for the character and heroism of the founders and patriots of America.
CDT Andrew Hopkins, also a fourth-year student, received the Distinguished Military Graduate Award for graduating in the top 20 percent in the nation, but he successfully made the top 10 percent.
CDT Jonathan Guelzo, a third-year student, received the Sergeant York Award for demonstrating the highest level of dedication and support to the ROTC program.
CDT Lirim Rufati, also a third-year student, received the American Veterans Awards for diligence and willingness to serve one’s country for the mutual benefit of all.
CDT John Kozlowski, a third-year student, received the AUSA Leadership Award for contributing the most towards advancing the standing of the Military Science Department. Later in May, CDT Kozlowski will also be receiving the Hoxie-Harrison Smith Award for the Military Order of the World Wars.
CDT Andrew Stump, a second-year student, received the Military Order of the Purple Heart Award for exemplary leadership demonstrated while enrolled in a Senior Reserve Officer’s Training Course.
CDT David Bollenbach, also a second-year student, received the Military Order of World Wards Leadership Award for demonstrating superior leadership qualities, academic achievement, and military aptitude.
CDT Antonio D’Alessandro, a first-year student, received the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution Award for demonstrating a high degree of merit with respect to leadership qualities, soldier bearing, and military excellence.
CDT Francesco Pastino, also a first-year student, received the Military Order of the Loyal Legion Award for demonstrating and encouraging the ideals of Americanism by deed and or conduct, and ranked in the top 10 percent of their ROTC class. CDT Pastino also had the most improved Army Physical Fitness Test score during the school year, increasing over 80 points.
Overall, these outstanding cadets and students of WCU have an average GPA of 3.3 and continue to successfully represent the University and the Army ROTC program with pride and dignity.
Alexa Vaders is a fourth yearstudent majoring in criminal justic with a minor in informational technology and can be reached at AV667419@wcupa.edu.