Fri. May 3rd, 2024

It is interesting how many things are considered a “disorder” these days. To some people who have lived with a disorder all their lives are now finding that there are ways to help cope with many of them. Perhaps a disorder many students have but do not know about is social anxiety disorder (SAD). If you feel nervous meeting new people, or speaking in front of large audiences, this is normal. Many people feel this way but do not have SAD. Those that do have SAD can become overwhelmingly anxious and self-conscious in the most ordinary social situations. People with SAD may also have an intense fear of being judged or embarrassed by others. For those with SAD these feelings are extremely hard to overcome by themselves.

For instance, as someone who deals with this disorder every day, I find myself constantly aware of everyone around me and always wonder if I am doing something embarrassing. If I am late to class, I may not even go because I do not want all eyes on me when I walk through the door. Even raising my hand to answer a question will cause my heart to pound, my face to get red, and my palms to sweat. People assume I am shy, but it is really the social anxiety that gets in my path every day.

Social anxiety disorder can affect someone in all aspects of their life. Not only avoiding social situations, but their disorder can interfere with work, ordinary activities, and making friends. For instance, a public gym may not be the best place for someone with social anxiety disorder. Work that involves interacting with a customer may make those with SAD fearful of their job.

Students with SAD that major in a field where interaction is necessary may have the worst time dealing with their disorder. I am a Communication Studies major with a minor in Theater. I deal with others, and being judged my others all the time. It is sometimes overwhelming being involved in so many activities that involve interaction; it is very hard to handle on a day-to-day basis. For the longest time, I did not understand what was wrong with me, but after talking to other students, I found I was not alone. A recent graduate from WCU had actually taken a semester or two off because her anxiety got the best of her.

This disorder can be limited to only certain situations such as eating in public, or so broad that their anxiety worsens around anyone or any situation.

According to www.effexorxr.com, about 13 percent of Americans deal with social anxiety disorder, or will at some point in their life.

You may be wondering how someone can get social anxiety disorder? Is it biological? Is it simply a mental defect?

Well, social anxiety disorder can be caused in many ways. Usually symptoms arise in teenagers. However, someone can receive the disorder earlier or later in life after experiencing a stressful of embarrassing experience. It can also be caused biologically. If you have a family member dealing with SAD, you have a higher risk of getting it yourself. There are even chemical abnormalities and overactive areas of the brain that can cause this as well. Many people who have SAD also deal with depression, or vice versa.

Treating this disorder can vary. It is suggested that you see a therapist first before turning towards medication. However, many find that using both at the same time greatly helps those with SAD deal with every day life.

If you think you might have social anxiety disorder, please schedule an appointment with a therapist to discuss your options. There are therapists on campus in the counseling center that provide their services to students for free.

Melanie Peterson is a second-year communication studies major. She can be reached at MP649178@wcupa.edu.