Dr. Theon Hill is a first year communication studies professor here at the university. Dr. Hill finished his doctorate program at Purdue earlier this year and specializes in the study of Rhetoric. Dr. Hill was born and raised in Chicago, and is a diehard Chicago sports fan. From my experience in his communication theory class, Dr. Hill is an engaging professor that keeps things interesting in the classroom and uses real-world examples and relevant video clips to relate class discussions to textbook material. I heard that the class would be very difficult, but Dr. Hill’s teaching style made the material easy to learn and provided an overall positive classroom experience.
I sat down with Dr. Hill for a brief interview to learn a little bit more about him to share with the student body:
CB: Why did you choose West Chester as opposed to other job opportunities?
TH: It was a great opportunity to integrate teaching into an area with potential growth.
CB: What do you like most about your job?
TH: Interacting with the students, watching them grow.
CB: Favorite all time Chicago athlete, besides Michael Jordan?
TH: Kerry Wood. He was an exciting young pitcher until he got injured.
CB: First big purchase after getting a full-time job?
TH: A wardrobe upgrade, lots of matching socks.
CB: What was your biggest setback in the pursuit of your career/education?
TH: When pursuing my doctorate, a number of schools rescinded my scholarships due to had with my school at the time.
CB: Who is the most influential person in your life besides your parents?
TH: Martin Luther King Jr. because of his willingness to give his own life for others.
CB: This is a tough question but how do you want to be remembered?
TH: I want to be able to say that I gave my all, even in hard times, for the sake of others.
If you are interested in taking a class with Dr. Hill, he currently teaches Business and Professional Speaking, Advanced Public Speaking, Communication Theory and African American Culture and Communication. He is working on developing undergraduate courses Rhetoric in Socially Conscious Rap, Rhetoric and Religion and Rhetoric & Social Movements.
Chris Black is a third year student majoring in communication studies. He can be reached at CB767056@wcupa.edu.