Sat. May 11th, 2024

As the summer slowly dwindles away and the days become cool, West Chester students find themselves returning to class and wondering if they should take up a permanent residence in the library. However, returning to class does not have to be such a drab time of the year. With many back to school activities and parties going on, there are many reasons to revamp one’s wardrobe for the fall season, and with many cute trends appearing this season we now have a reason to be excited about starting the fall semester.

One hot fashion trend that has sizzled on the runway for fall 2009 was the use of jewel tones on basic wardrobe essentials. Jewel tones are basically any color that is bright, bold, and are pretty self-explanatory: the color of a jewel. Using these colors can spruce up one’s basics adding creativity and excitement. Forever 21 sells many different shades of jeans, from green, red, and even blue; look for jeans that are affordable.

Trying a pair of these jeans with a simple top and coordinating accessories could really work if one is daring enough to try it. Another idea to add a couple of jewel tones into one’s wardrobe would be with an autumn jacket or winter coat. When purchasing a winter coat for this year, do not stick to boring old black, rather look for a coat with a color that will pop.

For fall, many of students are also looking for a new pair of boots. If one is looking for something other than the popular Ugg boot, another kind of boots to buy for this season would be either a bootie, or over-the-knee boots. The bootie is a small boot that comes up a little over the ankle. Whether one is interested in a peep toe version or just a simple leather bootie, students will not go wrong this fall leaving ones apartment or dorm in a bootie. Over-the-knee boots are the other hot trend this fall and would go well with a summer skirt that one could wear until it gets to be too cold. Neutral colored boots are a safe purchase if one is thinking about investing in new boots; they will match with just about any outfit and will be easier to wear.

One of the most important fall staples is the perfect coat. This fall, some of the trends for a new autumn jacket include oversized collars, fur details, highlighted waist, strong shoulders, ruffles, tweed, and single and double-breasted jackets. Double-breasted refers to a jacket having two columns of buttons whereas single-breasted jackets only have one column. Basically this fall when looking for a jacket look for something that is unique and original, yet still fits ones look. A leather bomber is a good idea if one is having problems looking for a nice jacket. They are durable, yet still edgy looking, and can be worn almost well into winter since they are usually pretty warm.

One fall fashion trend for 2009 that one is recommended to avoid would be double denim. Wearing head-to-toe denim does not usually match together, even if ones top is the same color as ones bottoms. Many celebrities have been seen doing it this season from Kanye West to Pete Wentz and although they are celebrities, who may start fashion trends, swimming in a sea of denim may not be a good look.

Whether one decides to revamp one’s wardrobe for this fall or not, just remember that being original yet sticking to one’s own personal taste is what is most important. Nothing screams style mistake than wearing something that is not ones own style. Also, have fun with what one buys for fall. Fashion should be fun and exciting because it is what fashion is all about.

Marcelle Bacon is a third-year student majoring in French. She can be reached at MB650800@wcupa.edu.