Sat. May 11th, 2024

After missing the postseason for the first time in seven years, the 2009 men’s soccer team remain optimistic about a return to the postseason. Ranked third in the PSAC East pre-season rankings, the teams optimism begins with the 13 new recruits brought in along with the veteran nucleus already established.The 13 new recruits are being described as one of the best classes that Coach Kendall Walkes has brought in his 20 years as head coach. After a season in which the offense found itself hurt by injuries, and an offseason that graduated key seniors, the goal was to replenish the mid-field and forward positions.

The two returning forwards are junior Zac Tassone and one of the four team captain’s Bryan Nugent. Nugent, with 52 appearances in his career, is a speedy forward with the ability to race down the wings. His speed creates more opportunities for Tassone and Nugent to hook up and put a goal into the net.

Freshmen Tyler Frattow and Josh Labik will also factor in at striker throughout the season and the other freshmen recruited as mid-fielders will also be able to move up to forward if need be.

Matt Aunet is the veteran presence, and one of the team’s four capitains. Of the group of freshmen, six played together for the last four years in high school. Aunet will be relied upon to provide leadership, and to get the ball to the new recruits.

Freshman Josh Labik, a talented mid-fielder and the most prized recruit, who Coach Walkes has described as a Division I player with the skills to move up to striker if need be. He is a player with the field vision and touch to be a key piece in the mid-field. Labik will be on the field immediately and is expected to contribute right from the get-go.

Sophomore Jabari De Coteau, another mid-fielder, is expected to have a much larger role this season. After a promising rookie campaign in which he scored twice, had two assists, and improved each week, his experience will be leaned upon.

Junior Chris Tucci is another returning mid-fielder who the coaches hope reaches his potential with a break-out season.

The midfield, led by senior Jason Mackel, will be asked to be more active in the defensive zone this season than in seasons past because of the young offense being fielded this season. Mackel, a returning midfielder with 46 appearances during his career and the returning leading scorer for the Golden Rams, will be asked to use his quick, smart offense-to-defense skills to strengthen an area expected to be strong and to bolster it into PSAC’s best defense. Aiding Mackel will be red-shirt freshman John Benkoski and Chris Burke, a big defender who can intimidate the opposition in the backfield.

As for the defense, the strength of the 2009 Golden Rams, their veteran nucleus begins with senior sweeper Zach Weaver, one of the team’s four captains. He was a first team All-PSAC player last year and an all-PSAC candidate again this season as well as one of the top defenders in the PSAC East. He started all 20 games last year, one of two to start all 20 games.

His leadership and experience is the focal point of an experienced foursome of senior sweepers that include Chris Ponto, a highly rated transfer with excellent defensive skills, J.J. DiFerdinando, another transfer with the ability to read and anticipate the opposition well, and Marc Michell, a returning three-year starter, an all-PSAC candidate, and last year’s team MVP.

The expectation for the defense is to win battles down low, take pressure off of the goalkeeper, and jump start the youthful offense with a solid transition game.

Freshmen Taylor Eisenhower, Andrew Solimeo, and Dan Roberts will add depth to the defense and should be viable subs during games.

Junior Peter Weiss begins the season as the starting goalkeeper. As the only returning goalkeeper, his experience gives him the edge over freshmen Kevin Marron and Garrett Blieler who will challenge for playing time.

East Stroudsburg and Millersville, powerhouses in the PSAC East are ranked in the top two of the PSAC East’s pre-season standings. The Golden Rams are going to have to have the youth movement adapt quickly to the college level. How quickly the young guys adapt will determine whether or not the Golden Rams are able to return to the post-season. The team possesses a tremendous amount of potential and are well capable of returning to the post-season.

Coach Kendall Walkes, entering his 20th year as head coach, has a career record of 195-158-24 record.

Chris Monigle is a fifth-year student majoring in Literature. He can be reached at CM660983@wcupa.edu.