Wed. May 1st, 2024

Runways, stagelights and camera flashes filled Hollinger Gym on Friday, April 21 as the Black Student Union put on their annual fashion show. The show was a thrill from beginning to end using fashion, dance and comedy to entertain throughout the evening. The show, which started at 7:45 p.m. began with a dance routine performed by the models. The dance energized the crowd and left everyone expecting much more from the rest of the show. Next, the two hosts, Devin Harris and Nibeyah Duren, took the stage. They introduced Rowdy, the first designer to be featured on the runway and also entertained the audience.

As the models ascended the stage it felt as though this were a professional fashion show. Everyone was poised and elegant walking down the runway to the beat of the music provided by DJ Ricochet. Every model posessed their own version of the runway walk worked so hard for by the models of “America’s Next Top Model.” The line itself contained a number of tee-shirts and zip-up jackets with the Rowdy logo on the front.

The second line featured was Re-Evolution, located in the Exton Mall. As the models strutted in their outfits on stage the Re-Evolution designers threw free tee-shirts, underwear and pins into the crowd.

During the intermission two local performers, A. Dot and Walt Anderson, showcased their talent. Another free give-a-way also took place during the intermission from the show’s sponsor Skin Health Solutions located on Gay Street. The show’s main organizer, Amina Uqdah, was honored with flowers and thank you’s from students involved in the show. The show continued with the last two lines, which were Gap, also located in the Exton Mall and Philly Native. Philly Native included a lot of running suits, tee-shirts and jackets all adorned with their logo.

The coordination and profesionalism of all the models added to the excitement of the show. Leedea Harrison thought that this was “the classiest fashion show I’ve been to here.” Another student, Sierra Barnes, thought that ” All the models did really good and looked nice. It is nice to see people you see everyday in sweatshirts and sweatpants all dressed up.” Amina Uqdah was also thrilled at the outcome of the show. ” It went well. A lot of last minute things came together and I am really proud of everyone.”

To be apart of this show next year, become a member of the Black Student Union. This campus organization invites all to join their organization no matter what race or background. They are an organization which aspires “to motivate inspire and unify the minority community” as stated in their mission statement on their Web site www.iws.wcupa.edu/bsu.