On Wednesday, April 19, the Asian American Student Organization presented its annual Cultural Expo, held in the Sykes Ballroom. Coordinated by the AAO executive board, the event drew in both students and faculty alike. The Cultural Expo hosted many presentations including a fashion show and a demonstration by Shotokan Karate, which has an organization at WCU. Viewers were then treated to the grace of a traditional Japanese dancer, who after her initial performance invited students up on stage to teach them dance steps and movements firsthand. Once the students took their seats, hip hop dancers straight from Philadelphia took the stage, wowing the crowd with their swift rhythm. The expo ended that night with a raffle for an Xbox, as attendees enjoyed Chinese food from Hunan Restaurant.

The expo is just one of the things that the Asian American Student Organization has done in the last year. Additionally, they’ve held bake sales, including one which profits the victims of Hurricane Katrina. They’re also responsible for bringing comedian Dat Phan,-the winner of TV series “Last Comic Standing,”- to WCU in the Fall of 2005.

In the future AAO is planning on organizing movie nights, Frisbee tournaments and paintball and bowling socials.

For more information about AAO, be sure to check out one of their meetings. They are held every Wednesday at 8 p.m. in Sykes 208. All are welcome.