Tue. Apr 23rd, 2024

Summertime is fast approaching and that means various music acts will be heading out for their summer concert tours. This year’s concert season hosts a variety of artists to accommodate nearly all musical tastes.

For those who enjoy pop-rock music, Gwen Stefani and the boys of No Doubt, accompanied by Paramore, are heading out on the road this summer and will be performing on June 11 at the Susquehanna Bank Center (formally the Tweeter Center) in Camden, New Jersey.

For those closer to the Pittsburgh area, the band will be playing on June 13 at the Post-Gazette Pavilion.

Dave Matthews Band also embarks on their annual summer tour, hitting our area for a show on July 24 at the Hershey Stadium along with Jason Mraz who recently scored a hit with the song “I’m Yours.”

Fans of classic rock will be glad to know that legends Billy Joel and Elton John will be getting together for a once in a lifetime summer tour which pulls into Citizens Bank Park on August 1.

The Fray, who recently released a self titled album and chart topping single called “You Found Me,” will be visiting our area on June 24 for a show at the Susquehanna Bank Center.

The pop- rock scene will be invading the Philadelphia area on May 1 with the Believers Never Die Part Deux tour, starring Fall Out Boy and featuring Cobra Starship, All Time Low and Metro Station. This will be an outdoor concert at Festival Pier located at Penn’s Landing. This concert is sold out.

Country fans will have the opportunity, on August 1st at the Wachovia Center in South Philadelphia, to see Taylor Swift and Keith Urban collaborate for the Escape Together Tour. Also, Rascal Flatts will be going on the road to promote their new album “Unstoppable” which was released on April 7.

Avid Disney Channel followers or people wanting the opportunity to spend a fun filled day with a younger friend or family member can take them to see the Jonas Brothers perform two shows on July 23 and 24 at the Wachovia Center.

They will also be performing at the Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh the following night.

Another Disney favorite, Demi Lovato will be having multiple concerts in the tri state area throughout the summer months.

On June 22, she will be performing at the Wachovia arena at Casey Plaza in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania. On June 27 Demi will be accommodating her Philadelphia fan base, playing a show at the Mann Music Center.

For those that prefer the festival atmosphere when attending a concert, the annual Vans Warped Tour is coming up soon. The tour will feature a variety of rock acts such as Soasin, Senses Fail and Pennsylvania natives, Valencia who recently played a show at The Note here in West Chester.

On July 8 the tour will arrive in Pittsburgh to play a show at the Post Gazette Pavilion. On July 17, it will be in Camden at the Susquehanna Bank Center.

WCU students are excited for the upcoming concert season.

Natalie, a first-year student, is going to be attending multiple concert events this summer, including Dave Matthews Band, The Fray and Taylor Swift.

“It’s one of my favorite things to do in the summer, especially going to outdoor concerts,” Natalie said.

Many smaller shows are also occurring this summer. First year student John Michael Clark, is going to see an indie band called Animal Collective this summer at the Electric Factory.

“Animal Collective is really cool. It’s going to be real sweet seeing my friends from home and going to see a great band,” Clark said.

Samantha Greenberg is a second-year student majoring in English. She can be reached at SG655862@wcupa.edu