Wed. May 1st, 2024

During the summer at WCU, some students find themselves having to take summer classes and stay on campus. For some, the first thing that would come to mind is that no one will be around so it will probably be boring. Not so fast. Summers are the best time for students to relax and have a good time, even if they are taking summer classes. Remember, the semester is over and now is the time to hang out with friends and have a good time.

Gay Street is a popular place when the sun comes out. Even towards the end of the semester, students like to go to the Gay Street restaurants and sit outside. If you don’t feel like spending money, having a barbeque in the backyard is always something fun to do.

There are a variety of parks in the West Chester area including Brandywine Park, which is within walking distance of the University. Going there with friends and kicking around a soccer ball or playing basketball can make the summer days fly by. Also, there are tennis courts on south campus and basketball courts for some athletic activities. For more exercise, taking a walk around the town is always relaxing when it is nice outside.

According to westchesterbid.com, on the second Thursday of every month, a wine tasting takes place at Spence Caf at 29 Gay Street from 6 to 8 p.m. It includes live acoustic music, complimentary hors d’oeuvres and featured wines from various vendors and makers.

During the first friday’s of every month, come to downtown West Chester and see what’s new. Stores stay open late for shopping and dinner.

On the first Thursday of every month, there is an event called “Swingin’ Summer Thursdays” located on Gay Street between High and Darlington streets.

Junior Katie Barbian has lived at WCU the past two summers while taking summer classes. “I love to go to the shore for the weekend with my friends. I like hanging out in West Chester when my friends come up for the weekend when I am not at class. I also like to take trips to watch Phillies’ games and soak up the sun,” said Barbian.

For those with a backyard, there is always lying out with friends and listing to music while getting a tan. The quad is always open with basketball courts and volleyball nets right next to it for those staying in a dorm over the summer.

Junior Ryann Smith is also taking summer classes this year. “My favorite thing to do is walk on Gay Street and sit outside while eating at the restaurants. It is very relaxing. I also love to just sit on my porch and listen to music, hang out with my friends all day long,” she said.

There is a new restaurant and bar, Barnaby’s, that has just opened up on High Street. There are also a variety of bars on Gay Street to check out. The restaurant “Coyote” has a roof in which you can eat and enjoy the nice summer weather.

Whatever you decide to do this summer, just remember that West Chester is full of fun activities to do with a beautiful town to go along with it.