Mon. May 20th, 2024

Excitement knocked at the doors of Sykes Student Union this past Wednesday morning, Feb. 4, as tickets went on sale for the spring concert. Word travelled fast across campus when it was announced that Dashboard Confessional would be coming to our West Chester University in just a few months. Students lined up bright and early to get their hands on one of the two-thousand tickets for the promising show.

As they waited patiently, they may have wondered, like many students, how the school even sets up events like this.

The Quad was able to sit down with Major Entertainment President Courtney Conigliaro to get the scoop.

Major Entertainment is a student organization that provides the campus with some pretty major entertainment each year in conjunction with SGA.

This spring’s concert selection is a perfect example of the kind of talent they obtain for our listening pleasure.

See Dashboard on page 14.

Dashboard

from Page 12

Now, it’s certain that not every person would have chosen Dashboard as the first choice for a concert.

Apparently though, enough people did since it was the student body that chose the band. Major Entertainment works through a middle agent company and a man named Mike. It’s a really simple process.

The middle agent gets the available dates from WCU, and then he finds the available bands. That’s where the students of the university come in. We were given the opportunity to vote on those bands.

So hey, if you didn’t vote, don’t complain, because the rest of us are pretty happy with the decision.

The hype is up for this concert from guys, girls, fans, and even students who have never heard of Dashboard Confessional. The buzz around campus about the event has been pretty unanimous: there is a lot of excitement.

One student, who has witnessed the amazing talents of Chris Carrabba in concert before, is just as excited to see him again.

She spoke quite adamantly of his vocal abilities, entertainment factor, and had nothing bad to say about his “beautiful face and muscles.”

This next part is for those of you who are still reading this and wondering, who are these Dashboard Confessional guys anyhow and why should I pay $15 dollars to see them?

Well first of all, that ticket is only going to cost you $14 if you use RamBucks. More importantly, this show will easily be worth the $15.

The group, rumored to be working on their sixth studio album, has made a splash in the music world since their entrance early in the new millennium.

Their music is a blend of punk and indie and is intensely easy to love and sing along with.

The band’s lyrics, resonating from deep within the souls of these guys, ooze with the emotions and qualms that all of us can relate to.

This is the kind of music that makes you roll down your windows and sing like one of the star contestants on American Idol in the tryout episodes. Fortunately, Chris Carrabba’s lead vocals are much more pleasing to the ear than that. So, whether you know their songs or not, the concert will be one you don’t want to miss. But wait, there’s more.

A good band is usually introduced by a lesser known, but talented artist.

This is going to be no exception. We are also being given the pleasure of experiencing the fairly new band The Color Fred. Taking Back Sunday’s lead guitarist, Fred Mascherino, broke out in late 2007 to work on this solo project.

The band’s CD reached #8 on Billboard’s “Top Heatseekers” chart.

The Color Fred is working their way to the top, and they’re coming to West Chester to do it.

Tickets are still available at the SSI box office on the first floor of the Sykes Student Union.

Emily Drobenak can be reached at ED649665@wcupa.edu.