With the semester well under way, West Chester University’s campus is bustling. While lots of learning goes on inside the classroom, much occurs outside it as well.  I am learning a great deal about how the community and local government function as Intern to Mayor Comitta

Lately, I’ve been finding out about the many wonderful resources West Chester has to offer. Mayor Comitta and I attended the Women in Service & Leadership’s Speed Networking Event in Sykes. A host of professional women from diverse career fields attended, along with many female WCU students. 

The exchange of stories, information, and advice that occurred in a mere two hours was astonishing. I left the event feeling uplifted and motivated, with good advice in tow. Several professionals advised me to pursue a career that I am passionate about and interested in. One even recommended pinpointing my interests by observing which news stories I focus on in my free time.  

After reflecting on my own CNN.com perusing habits, I concluded that I should pursue a career that involves animals, children, the environment, and/or politics.  I hope to shape my interests and experiences into a career path in the coming months, so I can find a job after I graduate in May. Which reminds me, I need to visit the Twardowski Career Development Center so we can review my resume and discuss future career options. You should visit the CDC too!

I also attended the grand opening celebration of the Daily Local News’ Community Media Lab. This large, inviting room is designed with YOU in mind! Once used as office space and storage, the Community Media Lab now hosts six computers, a large, free space for any community groups to meet, and walls full of beautiful artwork, painted by local Chester County artists. The Daily Local News envisions the space being used to help the community engage in the news-making process. Be sure to visit the lab if you have a chance, which is located in the Daily Local News’ building at 250 East Bradford Ave. 

Interning with the Office of the Mayor has been a great resource, as well.  Recently, Mayor Comitta, Councilman Chuck Christie, and I traveled to State College, PA for the Pennsylvania League of Cities and Municipalities’ University Communities Conference. A wide variety of University and Borough personnel from all over the state gathered to discuss how both communities can work together. A highlight of the conference was hearing the Chancellor of PASSHE, Dr. John Cavanaugh, speak. I also enjoyed learning about how the State College Police and Penn State University police forces work in together unison along with students to promote “safer” and legal partying practices. Before a party begins, officers talk with students to discuss how they can avoid trouble with the law, their health, and their community. This proactive approach to law enforcement seems like a positive one to me.  Stay tuned next month for tips on how West Chester University students can engage in “safer” and legal partying practices.

Courtney Potts is a fourth year student  majoring in political science and international relations with minors in Spanish and Latin American studies. She can be reached at CP678599@wcupa.edu.