Mon. Apr 29th, 2024

The third floor lounge in Sykes Student Union is only $1,000 away from being renamed the Frederick Douglass Lounge, thanks to the Sykes Union Advisory Board.The Sykes UAB has completed a number of fundraising efforts over the past seven years to achieve the required $10,000 endowment.

Along with the UAB, other student organizations such as the Student Government Association, the Residence Hall Association, the Student Activities Council and the Off Campus and Commuter Association have pledged money towards the fund. The UAB has previously had raffles and different campus events to raise the money.

The idea of naming the lounge after Frederick Douglass originated in 2000. The idea was brought before the UAB after a discussion with Dr. James Trotman, Professor of English and founding director of the Frederick Douglass Institute at WCU, at a student affairs meeting in the fall of 1999.

Douglass was an American abolitionist who was a frequent visitor to Borough of West Chester in every decade after his escape from slavery in 1838, according to a letter from Jackie Aliotta, Sykes UAB president, to student organization presidents. He gave his last public address on West Chester’s campus on Feb. 1, 1895, 19 days before he died.

The discoveries about Douglass and his relationship with West Chester led to the formations of the Frederick Douglass Institute in 1995.

“The Frederick Douglass Lounge is a great thing for the WCU community,” Trotman said. “It is a testimony to student sabout awareness and the importance of Frederick Douglass in their lives. It promotes democracy. It also reminds us of the indivisibility of the campus as a learning environment.”

“The third floor study lounge was built for and has operated as a place for students, faculty, staff and guests to gather to study, read, converse, work or simply relax,” Dave Timmann, director of Sykes Student Union said. “With an understanding of Douglass’ legacy as an educator, a leader, an author and a historian, the board felt it would be appropriate to name the lounge in his honor.”

Last year’s UAB was really determined to finish raising the money by the end of August. In hopes of achieving that goal, the organization had sent out a letter at the end of last semester to student organization presidents asking if the organizations had leftover funds to donate them to the endowment. However, that did not happen.

According to Timmann, organizations that have contributed and will contribute at least $1,000 will have their name added to a special plaque that will be permanently placed in the Frederick Douglass Lounge.

Contributors will also receive a certificate to display in their office space.

“Once we achieve the needed amount, we can use the interest collected to put more Douglass artifacts and art in the lounge,” Timmann said. “It would also go towards improvements in the lounge and academically-based scholarship opportunities.”

Student organizations that would like to donate money can complete an SSI voucher and return it to Timmann via the Sykes Student Union’s information desk. Checks can be made out to The West Chester University Foundation, with the notation “Frederick Douglass Lounge University Foundation.”

For more regarding the lounge, contact Timmann at Dtimmann@wcupa.edu or call 610-436-2984.

Amanda Tingle is a third-year student majoring in Secondary Education-English with a minor in Journalism. She can be reached at AT610629@wcupa.edu.