Mon. May 20th, 2024

To the Editor, I just read that the Council didn’t approve a proposal for the Wyeth site redevelopment. I submitted some comments on the daily news website. As I kept typing, more and more kept coming out. I know this is a school paper, and I’m not a student, but I did make a reference to a potential train station and its aid to WCU. Anyway, here’s what I submitted and I wanted to pass it along to get more visibility. “I am disappointed in this decision by the Borough Council. I’d ask them to look to Suburban Square in Ardmore. It’s a hugely successful situation where a mall is located literally 2 blocks from their historic downtown, and neither parties are hurting. We wouldn’t have as many traffic issues as the council speculates, as Westtown Rd. would act as its own exit, to a major highway, for the property. Which is something missing in Ardmore and causing problems on weekends there. This also would be a huge stepping stone in getting a Railroad back in West Chester, as the mall would bring an influx of private backing to help get funding for a train station for the town and University. Current sole-Septa budget speculation is for 2029. I also find it interesting and unappetizing how the council chooses to cite concern for future unnamed residents on fumes from current industrial businesses, without mentioning a concern for current residents/students who border the area and who feverishly want to see the property developed from the eyesore it is now. Most of the store fronts in town sell specialty items and provide services that would not be impacted by larger stores in a mall setting. Most residents are forced to travel to neighboring Malls (Brandywine, Exton, KOP) for these items as it is. So I ask you, “Who, exactly are you helping?” Again its disappointing that the council chose to irresponsibly sweep a fertile piece of property that could serve its community, under the rug, without taking on the responsibility of determining what to do with it. I can only hope they understand the full impact of their decision and not just their small piece of it. JF, Resident of Matlack St.” Thanks.

-Jeremy F, West Chester University Student

To the Editor,

Stimulus Bill or Spending Bill? Obama’s recovery plan passed by the House to help the country crawl out of an economic hole seems hopeful, however, the long-term effects could cause a financial burden for future generations. The $819 stimulus bill proposes to spend $544 billion to go towards unemployment benefits, energy and environment programs, funding for construction projects, and other aid to help people suffering from the recession, with the remaining $275 billion as tax cuts to encourage spending. Although the Obama administration has good intentions by initiating this recovery plan, it is estimated that it could add $347 billion in interest on the national debt over 10 years. This means that the cost of this bill may not balance out financially until around 2020 leaving our children and grandchildren the responsibility to take on a huge deficient. As a college student working towards a financially stable future, I hope that the plans of the current administration only benefit me and other Americans during this economic crisis. Only time will tell.

-Erica, West Chester University Student