Fri. May 10th, 2024

Once a month, a group of student leaders made up of representatives from SGA, OCCA, SAB, LGBTQA, The Quad and others meet with Dr. Lamwers, Dr. Bricketto and other university officials to discuss new information to share with the rest of the student body. These meetings are intended so that the student leaders can take the information back to their respective groups and the university population can be more informed. Earlier this week at one of these meetings, Vice President for Administration and Finance Mark Mixner unveiled a potential new plan to help cover costs of construction and other new developments on campus. Besides the dorm construction, WCU is also facing issues with funding green energy upgrades and the recreation center building, amongst others.

In addition to the technology fees, health fees, SSI fees, and all of the other one time fees every student of WCU already pays, and the Rec Center fee which has already passed and will be added on soon, the administration is now working to pass a one time $150 fee to cover the costs of the new additions to campus.

During the same meeting, the auxiliary budget for the upcoming year was released. Between this budget and the student organization budget from SGA that was printed in The Quad last week, there have been an awful lot of numbers floating around lately, and some might not be sure where all of this money is coming from, or where it is going.

For those interested, there will be a speaker at the SGA meeting this Tuesday who will be discussing the proposed fee and where this money will be going. As always, these meetings are open to West Chester students, and in these meetings you will have the option to voice your opinion.

Regardless of your position on this issue, you probably have one. Please make your voice heard, because this will be affecting students for a number of years, starting very soon. Don’t assume this won’t affect you, or that it “definitely will” or “definitely won’t” pass.