On Wednesday, the Lady Rams Soccer team (11-1-1, 6-1-1 PSAC East) defeated the Kutztown University Golden Bears (7-4-1, 3-4-1 PSAC East) 1-0 in a defensive battle. This win marked the ninth consecutive win for the Rams, and their fifth straight shutout win.The first half was a defensive struggle as neither team could get a shot past the opposing goal keeper.

West Chester recorded six shots in the period, but none could get by goal keeper Stefanie Bonsky. Hilary Smart was able to contain the Golden Bears’ offensive attack as she did not allow a goal either.

The second half was much of the same.

Kutztown came out looking to take control of the game, but Smart continued her dominant play in goal as she saved all four shots that Kutztown kicked at her.

The lone goal in the game came in the 76th minute as freshman Sarah Oswald recorded her fourteenth goal of the season off of a long pass from junior Lauren Boyer. Boyer kicked it over the Golden Bears’ heads and right to Oswald, who was able to shoot the ball past Bonsky for the go ahead, and eventual game-winning goal.

The goal by Oswald broke the freshman record for scoring. Her fourteen tallies mark the most by a freshman since 2003, when Julie Karcher recorded thirteen goals for the Golden Rams.

Smart finished the day with four saves, as she went the distance for the Rams. This was her fourth consecutive shutout as she continues to show why she is one of the best goal keepers in the PSAC.

Bonsky played only 80 minutes. She also had four saves, but gave up the lone goal. Brittany Melnyk finished out the final ten minutes for the Golden Bears.

On Saturday, the Lady Rams (11-1-2, 6-1-2 PSAC East) outplayed the Mansfield University Lady Mountaineers (2-9-2, 2-4-1 PSAC East), but could only salvage a 2-2 tie in this PSAC East battle.

The Lady Rams’ nine game winning streak is now over, but they have not been beaten in ten straight games.

West Chester dominated the first half. Senior co-captain Danielle Gerz scored off of a corner kick from Sam Paolino in the 22nd minute to give the Lady Rams the lead. Fifteen minutes later, West Chester upped its advantage to 2-0 when a Mansfield defender deflected the ball into its own net for an own goal.

In the second half, Mansfield took over the game. On a pass from teammate Anita Valerio just two minutes into the half, Mansfield senior Caroline Furmato hit a header in the net past Rams goal keeper Smart to cut the deficit in half.

Six minutes later, Mansfield was able to tie the score when Furmato scored her second goal of the game, and second goal of the season, on a pass from teammate Colleen Corcoran. Furmato kicked the ball off of the left post past the Rams goal keeper.

In the first overtime, West Chester had some opportunities. With less than two minutes remaining in overtime, the Rams put pressure on Mountaineer goal keeper Justine Segear, but she closed the door on every shot that the Rams sent her way.

In the second overtime, Mansfield had a chance to win the game. With one minute remaining in the game, after a scramble for the ball, Mountaineer junior Lyndi Keiser got a clean shot off against Brittany Barnes, who replaced Smart in net, but Barnes saved it as she fell to the ground.

West Chester out shot Mansfield 28-12. Smart had four saves and Barnes had two saves for the Rams. Segear recorded seventeen saves for the Mountaineers.

The Lady Rams soccer will return home on Wednesday to face the Shippensburg Red Raiders at 4:30 p.m. at the South Campus Soccer Field.

LJ Harrell is a second year student majoring in Business. He can be reached at LH639694@wcupa.edu