Wearing all black. In America, the getup is most frequently seen in public during formal occasions. Variations, including the black suit, the black evening dress and, of course, the black funeral uniform, punctuate our most solemn and scheduled events. Most of us, knowingly or unconsciously, respect the power of all black and wait for a special occasion to wear it. A movement new to campus, however, called Thursdays in Black, has given each one of us a meaningful occasion for which to wear all black once every week. Thursdays in Black is an international grassroots movement to create a world without rape or violence. The movement traces its origins to Mothers for the Disappeared, a group of Argentinean women who banded together in the face of kidnappings and forced prostitution of young girls in their village. To gain the attention of their community and government, Mothers for the Disappeared gathered every Thursday in silence to peacefully protest the loss of their daughters. In this memory, Thursdays in Black embraces the cause of Mothers for the Disappeared and expands their message to protest against all forms of rape and violence.

Currently, Thursdays in Black is surging in both recognition and participation around West Chester’s campus. The quick spread of the movement’s popularity is in part due to two factors: the ease in which people can join- simply don a black garment on Thursday- and conversations created by people inquiring about their peers’ Thursdays in Black attire.

According to Sally Cramer, participating in Thursdays in Black has prompted some “astonishment and interesting looks from other people.” She says, “Some [people] are very taken aback and surprised, but mostly the comments and feedback are positive.” But regardless of the type of response, these interpersonal exchanges are the strength of Thursdays in Black. Like all grassroots movements, peer education lies central to its core.

Consequentially, there is much that the Thursday’s in Black activists espouse. Some of the most staggering statements are statistics illustrating violence against women. For example, every nine seconds a women is beaten in the United States. Between three and four million women are battered each year. Women ages 20 to 34 endure the highest rates of domestic violence.

Additionally, in the workplace, employers lose between $3 and $5 billion every year in absenteeism, lower productivity, higher turnover and health and safety costs associated with battered workers. On the whole, domestic violence in the United States costs an estimated $67 billion annually, according to the American Institute for Domestic Violence. Finally, according to the National Institute of Mental Health, one in four females have lived through at least one experience which met the legal definition of rape or attempted rape.

Yet in the face of these brutalities, can wearing black clothing actually make a difference?

Cramer explained that “wearing black on Thursdays raises awareness of violence prevention, and is a form of silent protest to all types of violence and discrimination.” She explained that “especially in current times, something must be done to show that there are a lot of people who wish to put an end to this all too frequent behavior.” Again, like mentioned earlier, Thursdays in Black is about building a network of education and discussion within a community. Through these peaceful means, activists aim to prevent future violence.

Furthermore, activist Brian Fanelli corroborates that “Thursdays in Black is a creative idea that helps to spread a visual message around campus and spread awareness about the abuse of women.” Once more, this movement is described as instructive. By wearing black, activists wish to present an image of strength, awareness and hope to others who they can affect.

Understanding the breathtaking prevalence and vulgarity of violence against women, Thursdays in Black works at the local level to help eliminate violence before it even starts.

In addition to independent activists, Thursdays in Black is gaining a home base with the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance (FMLA). Current president Kristin Gross describes Thursdays in Black as “a great cause and a simple way to alert others that there is much suffering in the world.”

Additionally, participants will soon be able to adorn their black outfits with Thursdays in Black buttons. The buttons, to be made available at the WCU Women’s Center and circulated around campus by Thursdays in Black participants, can be worn to declare support. Along with the button, those who are interested can also receive a postcard which explains the theory and key issues of Thursdays in Black.

If you are interested in joining the cause or learning more, contact FMLA by email at fmlawcu@hotmail.com.

Additionally, FMLA frequents tables around campus offering information. Weekly meetings are held every Tuesday night at 8:30 in the Women’s Center. All are welcome.