The Department of Public Safety (DPS) released the 2011 Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, including crimes occurring over the three previous years for West Chester University.

This report, known as the Clery Act, is compiled by DPS in accordance with the federal law.  The Clery Act, as stated in the report, requires all post-secondary educational institutions participating in federal student financial aid programs to publicly report crimes statistics. The Department of Education reviews the reports, fining institutions $27,000 per every error.    The Clery Act defines burglary as the unlawful entry of a structure to commit a felony or theft.  Burglary numbers have dropped over the years. In 2008, 62 reports were made, 30 of which occurred in residential facilities. One report occurred on public property. This area according the report is “within the campus or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus.” The high number dropped by 50% in 2009, with 17 of the 31 reported Burglaries occurring in residential facilities. The number continued to drop as 9 of the 14 burglaries occurred in residential facilities.

One robbery report occurred on public property in 2008, no reports in 2009 and one report in 2010 occurring on campus property. The Clery Act defines robbery as the taking or attempting to take anything of value from the care, custody or control of a person or persons by force or threat of force or violence and/or by putting the victim in fear.   Forcible sex offenses reports have lowered in numbers, from eight reports in 2008, to five reports in 2009 and 2010. Clery definition states any sex act directed against another person, forcibly and or against that person’s will; or not forcibly or against the person’s will where the victim is incapable of giving consent. All offenses were reported in residential facilities (offenses took place on campus in residence halls). During these three years no reports of non-forcible sex offenses were made. The Clery Act defines this as incest and statutory rape.    Two reports of arson occurred in residential facilities in 2008, none in 2009 and one in 2010 on campus property. One report of aggravated assault in 2010 occurred in a residential facility. Three motor vehicle thefts were reported during the last three years, occurring once per year.        

Over the three previous years there have been no reports of murder, non-negligent and negligent manslaughter.

On campus hate crimes show numbers for two of the 14 criminal categories. Reports of intimidation occurred due to race once in 2008, five reports in 2009 and once in 2010. Two more intimidation reports were made in 2010, one for religion and one for sexual orientation. Reports of destruction, damage or vandalism of property occurred due to race with three reports in 2008, five reports in 2009 and four reports in 2010. In addition, one report occurred each year of the past three years due  to religion and also one report each year due to sexual orientation. In 2010, one additional report occurred due to religion. 

One arrest in 2008 and another in 2009 included a weapon violation. In 2009 four judicals were given for weapon violations, while one judicial was given in 2010, all taken place in residential facilities.

Drug law violations leading to an arrest included 80 in 2008, 82 the following year and increased to 103 arrests in 2010. Most of the on-campus occurrences took place in the residential facilities. In addition to this, 12 drug related arrests were made on public property in 2008. The number of drug-related arrests decreased to 3 in 2009 and six in 2010 on public property.   Liquor law violations leading to an arrest have decreased over the years, according to the Clery Act Statistics. In 2008 the highest rate with 578 arrests, it decreased to 533 in 2009 and dropped again with 352 arrests in 2010.    Chief Michael Bicking of DPS said the Clery report provides information to current students and employees, informing them of any crimes committed on-campus. The report also provides incoming students and employees with the same information.    The Jeanne Clery Act Discourse of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, is commonly known as the Clery Act. The act is named after Jeanne Ann Clery and requires schools to publicly release a crime report.  Sexually assaulted and slain in her residence hall at Lehigh University in April 1986, she was a 19-year-old first-year student.    

Her parents helped develop the act to require a public report of violent crimes occurring on a college campus. Lehigh University had a total of 38 reported violent crimes on-campus over the three year period prior to Jeanne’s death.  

To find the DPS report, visit www.wcupa.edu/dps. To read more on Jeanne Clery or to learn of Security on Campus (SOS) Inc. visit www.securityoncampus.org. 

Ginger Rae Dunbar is a fifth-year student majoring in English with a minor in journalism. She can be reached at RD655287@wcupa.edu.