Sat. Apr 20th, 2024

Sunday, April 10 marked the beginning of the awkward two-day time period between the last layout session of The Quad’s 2010-2011 staff, and the first meeting of the 2011-2012 staff. As a Quad veteran of several years, I can confidently say this is the largest turnover of staff I have ever seen.For my last editorial, I have no witty lines or pathetic jokes. I merely want to praise The Quad for succeeding as a student-run publication, and for the honor I had in participating as a writer, section editor and student leader. I’ve seen several different staffs (filled with extremely different people) take on the tasks of managing writers, laying out editorial pages, handling communication with advertisers, keeping business and billing records and getting along while doing so.

I admire every single staff member for being willing to take on this kind of work on top of academia, knowing full well that there will always be a chance of being called in for a last-minute fix up. Having worked at my local newspaper (in the Lehigh Valley), I can honestly say that The Quad strives to uphold the same journalistic standards and business practices-something that’s quite difficult when your entire staff is attending classes instead of working nine-to-five.

My time working with The Quad has been one of my most educational experiences on this campus. I highly encourage every-and-anyone with a slight inclination for writing to pursue The Quad, if only to write one article every semester.

After this issue, my duties will transfer to the newly-elected Editor-in-Chief, Rae Dunbar, and her 2011-2012 Quad staff. Ms. Dunbar will hold the last Quad meeting of the semester Tuesday, April 12 at 3:30p.m. Anyone who would like to know how to be involved in The Quad next semester should feel free to come by our office (2nd floor Sykes) and chat for a while.

Thank you, past and present Quadlings, and to our wonderful staff advisor, Dr. Thompsen, for an enlightening, hysterical, sometimes-frustrating, continually fascinating experience. Best of luck in the future.

peace to you,
Tara Tanzos