Fri. May 3rd, 2024

Local politicians and student activists urged young people to vote in the upcoming election, while expressing frustration towards the Bush administration during a rally for change hosted by WCU’s College Democrats Wednesday night in Sykes ballrooms.Surrounded by balloons and Kerry/Edwards signs, speakers at the rally pushed the message that young people can influence the election and the direction of the country. “With your work and your dedication, our possibilities are endless,” said Chris Shields, a Chester County activist working diligently for the Kerry campaign, to the crowd of about 40 students. Later, WCU activist and student Tyler Bradway, who came to
the rally to speak against the war in Iraq, refuted the stereotypes that college students are apathetic. “We are here, we are in this room, and we do care,” Bradway said.

Those who spoke also expressedoutrage towards the Bush administration’s policies, fearing the possibility of a second term for George Bush. “I believe the Bush administration will reinstate the draft,” said Democrat Tom Bosak, who is running for state Senate in the 9th district of Pennsylvania. Besides criticism over the Iraq war, the speakers also expressed frustration over the economy, environment, education and women’s issues. “This was not the America I was promised. This is not the land of opportunity,” said Mike McGann, another Democrat who is campaigning to become a State Representative. “If Bush is re-elected and gets the chance to appoint conservative Supreme Court judges, it would set back [women’s] right to chose at least 30 years,” said Kristin Gross, president of WCU’s Feminist Majority Leadership association.

Despite fears over the reelection of the Bush presidency and frustration over current policies created by Republicans, the speakers offered hope at the end of each speech. “The responsibility to change this country is on our shoulders,” said WCU College Democrats president James Clapp at the conclusion of the speeches. Each speaker stressed the need to vote and act if young people hunger for a political change.

Besides speakers, the rally also contained tables with information concerning local Democrats campaigning for office and activist organizations on campus, including Students Stand Up for Peace, Earth, and the FMLA. Once the rally ended, students chatted about issues, and most were happy with the turnout and the message of change the rally pushed. “That was a very thought-provoking meeting,” said Sterling Davis, a sophomore at West Chester, at the conclusion of the rally. However, not all were happy with the message the rally contained. “They haven’t given a plan on what they want to do,” said WCU student and Nader activist Steve Verrastro, referring to the Democratic platform and the rally. Steve continued to state his belief that the Democrats have only attacked the Bush administration, instead of offering a vision for America. The WCU College Democrats have increased their membership tremendously during recent weeks of school. According to members of the group, the organization’s e-mail list now has over 250 members. “We have over 250 people on our E-mail list, and I’m real proud of that,” said Erik Anderson, a West Chester graduate who was the organization’s president last year. For those interested in working with the WCU College Democrats, the group’s e-mail is WCUCollegeDems@yahoo.com.

The organization meets every Wednesday from 3 to 4 P.M. in Main Hall 215. The group will continue registering new voters, campaigning for John Kerry and local Democratic candidates, and planning other events on campus. The group also hopes to work with other activist organizations on campus. “We need to create bonds so our groups can thrive,” said James Clapp, the College Democratcs president. For those who wish to help with the Bush campaign, West Chester University also has a College Republicans group on campus.