For students interested in pursuing a career in public relations, there is one organization that is critical to have on a resume, and that is the Public Relations Student Society of America.
PRSSA is a nationally recognized organization designed for students who are interested in pursuing a career in the field of public relations. Through meetings and events, members will meet people who have years of experience in the field. Meeting these professionals, and other members of this organization will help build contacts, as well as develop networking skills.
West Chester’s chapter of PRSSA hosts a networking event each semester called a Mocktail. This year’s event will be held on Oct. 16 at 6:30 p.m. in the Sykes Ballrooms. At this event, professionals in the communications and public relations field are each stationed at a table. The students attending this event are then dived evenly amongst the professionals. Similar to the process of speed dating, students and professionals are given 10-15 minutes to mingle. During this time, students can pick the professional’s brains by asking questions and maybe even exchange a business card or two.
Another way West Chester’s chapter prepares its members for success is through trips. There is no better way to know what career and internship opportunities are available than to see them for yourself. In the past, PRSSA has visited Philadelphia and New York, with Baltimore on the schedule for November this fall semester. On each trip, three firms are visited ranging from public relations to advertising. Each firm provides a presentation about what it is they do and leaves time for questions. Members have the opportunity to network and handout resumes.
Becoming a member is simple: just pay an annual fee of $50. This fee can be given to organization advisor Dr. Lordan in Main 317. Once the fee is paid, the benefits of a PRSSA membership can be independently explored with a personalized login to the PRSSA national database, which provides listing for internships, jobs, and scholarships. The possibilities are endless; it is all about what members do with the materials provided to them.
 As a newly recognized organization with over 45 active members last year, and membership interest increasing, PRSSA has proved itself as an exceptional organization.
E-mail Anglique Caraballo, President, (AC749219@wcupa.edu) witht any questions.
Follow us on Twitter! @PRSSAWCU
Like us on Facebook! PRSSA of West Chester University
Angelique Caraballo is a fourth-year student majoring in communication studies with a minor in journalism. She can be reached at AC749219@wcupa.edu.