On Feb. 1, the students of Lambda Pi Eta hosted the third annual communication showcase, which highlighted multiple groups and organizations the communication studies department offers.Fourth-year student Kathryn Dill said that the event was a great opportunity to learn about the organizations. The students of Lambda Pi Eta offered the event not only to communication studies students, but to any student on campus. The showcase featured five organizations within the department.

Under the direction of emcee [MC] Kelli Gannon, the presentation started with the introduction of Lambda Pi Eta itself. Lambda Pi Eta is a national honor society for communication students. The organization offers students opportunities to get involved with community service. Last year, Lambda Pi Eta donated many hours to the SPCA and raised about $500.

Working closely with Lambda Pi Eta, Students in Communication [SIC] is a group that offers opportunities for community service. However, SIC is an organization that helps students build proficiency with networking, résumé building, and other skills for the workplace. SIC allows students to branch out from their network of friends and build professional networks while having fun. This year SIC is planning to attend the Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington D.C. Last year, SIC aided Lambda Pi Eta in donating time and money to the SPCA.

Shifting to the media part of the organizations, WCUTV 5 did not have representation that night. However, WCUR, the campus radio station, offered information about joining. WCUR: The Curve is a completely student-run organization on campus. It streams not only over the airwaves but also online at WCUR.org. The radio station offers students opportunities for leadership roles and more networking.

Upon signing up for the station, students must pass a six-week training program in order to be ready for on-air duties. WCUR is looked at as the campus sound system as well. General Manager, Sam Krepps said that the radio station helps with setting up sound equipment at events. WCUR is not only interested in providing music for events, but also raises money for events. Last year, for the Relay for Life event, they helped raise $500 – $600. WCUR also hosts spring concerts and the “Grand Ram Band Jam.”

The student-run newspaper, The Quad, also did not have representation that night. Students can find out more information on The Quad by visiting the website at wcuquad.com.

Forensics is another organization students can join. The name may sound familiar, but the group does not dissect crime scenes. Sara Franklin said the forensics team is a speech and debate team. The group offers students to build public speaking skills and build logical arguments. This year the group is heading to Portland, Oregon to compete. They perform in many categories of speeches such as limited preparation, public address, and oral interpretation. Students can benefit from the organization by learning valuable skills that help with public speaking, networking, and the ability to market oneself.

Contemporary Issues helps students to be aware of issues that may surround their lives. Members bring issues to light and allow students to have input as to what issues should be discussed on campus. Issues do not have to relate to the campus itself but to the world in general. The group meets every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Sykes 210.

The showcase offered students opportunities to join a variety of different groups within the communication studies department.

Dill said, “I definitely learn more every year I attend. In my opinion, this is one of the most effective ways that students are informed about the communications studies major, and an excellent source of involvement opportunities.”

Students can find more information on all of the organizations listed on the communication studies website at communication.wcupa.edu.

T.J. Cromyak is a fourth-year student majoring in communication studies with a minor in journalism. He can be reached at AC651771@wcupa.edu.