Sun. May 12th, 2024

Did someone say “bingo?” The sisters of the Alpha Xi Delta sorority at West Chester University hosted Xingo, a night of bingo and raffle prizes, on Nov. 14 in the Sykes Student Union Ballrooms. They raised nearly $1,300 to benefit their philanthropy, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.WCU students packed the ballrooms for an evening of fun and games, vying for big prizes. There were several rounds of bingo, having the players aim for the four corners, blackout, the classic five-in-a-row and other formations on the game card.

Xingo offered refreshments as well. Domino’s donated pizza, and Wawa provided iced tea, lemonade, and orange juice. There was also a bake sale, with proceeds benefiting the children’s hospital.

There were many coveted bingo prizes, all of which were donated to the event. A $100 gift card to Wegman’s grocery store was given away in the first round.

The prize of the second round was a shopping spree, which consisted of gift cards to Target, Aerie, FYE and Bed, Bath & Beyond stores.

A round of golf for four people, valued at $400, was also awarded.

Tension mounted when a round offered $150 to Southwest Airlines and $100 to Marriott Hotels, allowing the winner to plan a trip of his or her own.

The final round’s prize was a $200 Visa gift card, usable anywhere.

Hayley O’Hagan is the programs chair of Alpha Xi Delta and helped a great deal in the planning of Xingo night.

“I’m so excited for the turnout tonight,” O’Hagan said. “We all could not believe the donations we received.”

“Our sorority is looking forward to hosting this event again next year,” O’Hagan added. She also credits fellow sister and Philanthropy Chair Courtney O’Brien for the idea to hold this event.

The raffle was another part of the night, which generated much excitement from the participants. Each raffle ticket was sold for 25 cents, and an arm’s-length of tickets cost $3.

“A full arm of ticket for only $3 was a great deal, especially knowing the money goes to a good cause,” said fourth-year elementary and special education major Rachel Malavolta.

Raffle prizes were in great assortment. The different offers included free movie tickets, various DVDs, baskets of beauty products, gift cards to Iron Hill Brewery and Kooma and an iPod shuffle.

“I’m so thrilled to see such high energy in here tonight for our event,” said fourth-year student and Alpha Xi Delta member Danna Strahl as the raffle winners were being called out.

The entire crowd also joined in singing “Happy Birthday” to Alpha Xi Delta President Julie Geisel, who celebrated her twenty-first on Xingo night.

Amanda Young , spokesperson for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, attended Xingo night.

“These girls did such a great job with this event, raising money for a hospital where kids do not pay for anything,” Young said.

St. Jude opened in 1962 through work of founder Danny Thomas. The physicians and scientists of St. Jude have worked together to pioneer treatments that have increased the survival rates for childhood cancer. In 1962, survival rates were below 20 percent, but have risen to over 70 percent today.

St. Jude treats children who are 18 and under, and they must be referred by a physician.

Additional sponsors of Xingo night include American Eagle, Sovereign Bank, Papa John’s Pizza, Burrito Loco, Applebee’s, Old Navy, Barnaby’s and Meineke.

Alpha Xi Delta would like to thank everyone who came out and supported the cause. Keep a lookout for the next Xingo night.

Brian Plunkett is a fourth-year student majoring in English with a minor in journalism. He can be reached at BP590205@wcupa.edu.