Approximately 280 volunteers from West Chester University did their part to contribute to the Martin Luther King Day of Service activity on Monday, January 16 from 2-4 p.m. in the Sykes Student Union Ballrooms.”We were participating along with tens of thousands of people in the Greater Philadelphia region,” said Maggie Tripp, Director of the Office of Service Learning and Volunteer Programs, which coordinated the event held at WCU. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, in many areas of the country, also meant a ” day of service.”

A famous quote by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. himself still inspires the volunteers of today: “Everybody can be great, because anybody can serve.”

It was the 11th Annual MLK Day of Service in the Greater Philadelphia area. “Over the past ten years, this event has been the largest event in the nation honoring Dr. King. More than 215,000 people throughout the Philadelphia area have celebrated Dr. King’s legacy by turning community concerns into citizen action, with many projects continuing throughout the year,” according to the website dedicated to the event.

WCU has held this event for several years now on campus due to the fact of possible winter weather issues and many agencies closing because of the national holiday.

“Considering the fact that classes hadn’t started yet, I felt that it was an exceptional turn out,” said Tripp. The ballrooms were full so they set some people up to craft in the lobby and Tripp said they were delighted the activity turned out so well.

Many members of the Greek community along with members of the Abbey Society, Black Student Union, the residence halls of Sanderson, University, McCarthy, Killinger and other interested students and community members helped make many different seasonal crafts.

The crafts will be donated to The Hickman Independent and Assisted Living Residence for older adults on N. Walnut St. here in West Chester Borough. The volunteers spent their hours making decorations for their walkers as well as personalized door hangers, which include the adults’ first names, center pieces, wreaths and magnets. Everything was decorated from their dining area to their recreational area to their personal rooms.

“They brought a joyful tone to us,” said Tripp. In between crafting, the WCU Gospel Choir provided entertainment.

You may contact the Office of Service Learning and Community Service for more volunteer opportunities in their office of B-19 Killinger Hall Basement or ext. 3379.