Tue. Apr 23rd, 2024

With the arrival of the spring semester comes spring sports, including softball. The West Chester University softball team is one competitor of the Pennsylvania Student Athletics Conference Eastern division, and the new season is quickly approaching. “Every team in our conference is tough, but the girls show good attitudes, put forth hard work and want to excel,” said head coch Diane Lokey regarding her team’s chances this season.

That is a good sign as the coach, who in her third year leading the Golden Rams, begins the season with high hopes. The team’s goals include making it to the PSAC playoffs and to be above .500 with their record. Some local rivals of this group are Kutztown and Millersville, but on a grander scale, there are also Shippensburg and Bloomsburg to add in the competition.

The team is composed of eight freshmen, five sophomores, three juniors, and one senior. Senior captain Adina Dettainaul takes the lead in pitching, but shares the duties with sophomore Jamie McComb, who also plays outfield, and freshman Shannon Padula. Junior captain Katey Kreider starts out at shortstop. Her job is also taken on by transfer student Steph Brady when needed as a back-up. Brady also plays outfield, and with her in their prospective positions are freshmen Ashley Bosak and Maggie Wood and sophomore Tara Colantuono. First baseman Mandi Jankowski and catchers Bria Scheb and Alisha DiMarzio all share their duties with each other. Junior Kim Fulmer splits herself between the demands of second baseman and designated hitter. Utility players include freshman Kristin McCoy, Meghan Halberstadt, Kate Reardon, Katie Connors and Kristi Bricker.

The team will be traveling to Fort Myers, FL for their tournament over spring break. The Golden Rams will play 10 games during that time before their start of the new season. Overall, the upcoming softball season is looking positive. It promises to be one exciting year of softball at WCU.