Mon. May 13th, 2024

The West Chester Women’s volleyball team spent the week hoping for a shot at making the NCAA tournament, but unfortunately, they were not picked by the selection committee to receive a playoff berth. Even after finishing an impressive seventh place in the final Atlantic Region polls, the team will be home for the playoffs.

This disappointment still does not take away from the extraordinary season the team had, from their start in the Holy Family tournament to their final match versus Clarion in the PSAC playoffs.

“I view the season as a success.I am definitely pleased!” says coach Kassie Bellaver.

Bellaver has done a fantastic job with the squad this year, and is confident that the team will continue their success in next year’s campaign.

The team’s standout player this year was senior captain, Kristen Decker.

Decker had both an outstanding season and career at West Chester playing volleyball. This year she led the team in kills with over 500, as well as set the new record for digs in a career for the school. This past week, Kristen received possibly her greatest accomplishment to date, MVP of the PSAC East division for the year. She will be greatly missed by West Chester next year.

Also receiving honors this week was the team’s star freshman Michelle Powers, as she was awarded the PSAC East rookie of the year.

Powers finished second on the team to Decker in the kills category and Lacie Becher in blocks. She has had a very impressive freshmen year and the team looks forward to the next few years and what she will do for the Rams. It looks as though she will fill the void left by the graduating Decker.

There is one other graduating senior on the team this year, Ashley Zech.

She has been an asset to the team in many ways these past four years, especially in her serving, where she holds the NCAA II record for consecutive serves. She will also be greatly missed.

Next year will bring back a great squad including Jacqueline Vivanco, who led the team in digs and set a new single-season team record in that area, the Focht twins, who were amongst the leaders in kills and blocks, Lisa Yeasted, who recorded over eighty percent of the teams assists, Jenna Burd, Karly Lotkowski. The list goes on.

There is no question whether West Chester will be a serious contender for the championship next season.

Now it is time for the team to reflect on their season and gear up for next year.

Hopefully the off-season will bring with it some more great freshmen to help fill the void left by the departing seniors.

This year’s team has set the bar high for next year, but with a productive off season and team work, West Chester’s women’s volleyball team could set some new records and even end up with a PSAC championship.

Ryan Frisco is first-year student majoring in communication studies. He can be reached at RF648257@wcupa.edu