Tue. May 7th, 2024

On Dec 15 while the winter break was just beginning for West Chester students, the work was just starting for the newly announced president of the University, Dr. Greg Wiesenstein.In addition to serving as provost at the University of North Dakota, he also served as dean of College of Education, Health and Human Development at Montana State University, as well as having served on presidential advisory committees under Presidents Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

“I am delighted to have been selected as the 14th President of West Chester University and enthusiastically look forward to working with the entire campus community to build upon the great traditions and accomplishments of WCU,” Weisenstein said. “As I learned more about the university, and spent time during the interview process interacting with faculty, staff, students and administrators, I became increasingly excited about being part of WCU’s very bright future. With the help of our alumni and friends, I am convinced that we can continue to elevate the value that WCU brings to its many constituencies and to its role in strengthening PASSHE.”

Pennsylvania State Systen of Higher Education Chancellor Dr. John C. Cavanaugh has called Weisenstein “a tremendous leader,” and his governmental and international expertise were noted by Board of Governors Chairman Kenneth M. Jarin.

Weisenstein will be on campus this Friday to meet with employees and interested students at a welcoming reception held in Sykes Student Union starting at 1:30, and also plans to spend time in and around the campus in preparation for the beginning of his term in office which officially begins on Monday, March 2, 2009.

“One of my transition goals is to get to know people early in my presidency and make every effort for them to get to know me.”

Jenn Rothstein is a second-year student majoring in English. She can be reached at QuadEIC@wcupa.edu.