Nearly 800 of the undergraduate students at West Chester University are a part of Greek Life. These students are involved with numerous community service projects not only with the local community but also on the national level as well. The semester starts early for the Greeks on campus to plan the events for the upcoming semester. Over the summer, Inter- Greek Council (IGC), Inter- Fraternity Council (IGC) and Pan-Hellenic Council (Panhel) meet to discuss upcoming Greek events for the semester. Some of the events that took place on campus in the beginning of the academic semester included a Greek Field Day to promote Greek and non-Greek involvement on campus and a barbeque hosted by fraternities and sororites on campus to extend awareness of Greek life and invite students to recruitment. The recruitment for this past semester was one of the largest since the early 1990’s. Greek life teamed up with the other organizations on campus throughout the semester.

The Greeks and the Off Campus and Commuter Association, or OCCA, created “Borough Clean- Up” which took place on Nov. 19 where students volunteered to help clean up Everhart Park and surrounding streets. “We have managed to team up with seven non-Greek organizations this semester on different events and hope to keep this increasing,” says Ryan King, IFC president and brother of Pi Kappa Phi fraternity. IGC, OCCA, UAB and SAC collaborated to create a Stress Relief event that will take place on Dec. 5 in Sykes Ballrooms. There will be bull riding, free massages and other activies to help relieve stress for students and faculty members before finals week.

Greek life students have also been actively involved with “Brian’s Run” and “Camp Dreamcatcher” throughout the years. Last year, Greeks at WCU raised $35,000 for “Camp Dreamcatcher” and hope to raise even more for this coming year.

WCU Greek life is very active on campus, teaming up with other student organizations and participating in each of their community service projects. Recruitment will begin next semester within a few weeks of the semester begining. To learn more about Greek life at WCU, visit their Web site at www.wcugreeks. com.