Wed. Jan 26th, 2022

Last week ,the WCU Forensics Speech and Debate Team took first place at the Pennsylvania Forensics Association State Championship held on West Chester’s Campus on Feb. 16 and 17.  

WCU completely dominated the other schools, especially long-term rival Saint Joseph’s University by more than 150 points. Out of the 11 individual events at the competition, West Chester took home 6 gold medals, proving to be a great success for WCU

Team members Jillian Heagerty and Dan Hinderliter won first and second place, respectively, in persuasive speaking, which qualified them for spots in the longest running speech competition called the Interstate Oratorical Competition in LA in April. 

Carl F. Sandberg, a junior philosophy major on the team, said he “felt that everyone deserved it and especially the upperclassmen who have put a lot of effort in for several years,” regarding the win.  

Ahleah Miles, a freshman, said, “Since I’m new to the team, it felt great to be a part of something that big.  As a team, we were all part of a big success.”  

The team prepared for nearly a full year for this competition and currently has plans to compete at the Pi Kappa Delta national tournament in March and the National Forensics Association Championship in April.  While neither of these events will take place on West Chester’s campus, later in the spring, the WCU team may showcase a few of their top competitors here on West Chester’s campus for faculty, students, and peers to witness the state champions take on speech and debate once again.

Katie Clarke is a second-year student majoring in political science. She can be reached at KC61853@wcupa.edu.