Tue. Apr 16th, 2024

On Nov. 11, West Chester University will present the first open forum discussion between representatives of the University and the West Chester borough, titled “Bringing Campus and Community Together: A Community Forum on Civic Engagement.” Event organizers suggest that this forum may be the first step toward regular communication between the school and community.
As organizer, moderator, and associate professor of communication studies, Dr. Michael Boyle puts it, “showcasing what this event is all about,” West Chester’s own Mayor Committa will join the panel of professors and community leaders. To further amplify the voice of the community, Cynthia Ericson, Chester County native, award-winning marketing professional, radio show host, and Rotarian will join the panel.
Panel members representing the University include Professor Eryn Travis, Dr. L. Meghan Mahoney, and Dr. Chris Stangl. Mahoney is an assistant professor in the department of communication studies and brings her research specialty in new and social media for social change and communication. Travis, adjunct professor also in West Chester’s communications department, offers 15 years of experience in communications, media relations, and government. Of herself Travis says, “As someone who teaches communication strategies as well as volunteers in the West Chester area, I’m looking forward to discussing ideas and sharing best practices.” Stangl teaches political theory and constitutional law, particularly the first amendment.
As the evening unfolds, the panel will begin by discussing first, what civic engagement is, and second, what things most hinder and help civic engagement, to be followed by an open discussion between panelists and audience members. Boyle hopes “the panel will showcase that we can view civic engagement from many different perspectives.” Of these perspectives, Boyle stresses the importance of one: the students. “Students are the present and the future… one of the goals of this forum is to hear from audience members – including students – for how they contribute to their communities both here and in their hometowns,” Boyle says.
The discussion’s success will lead to future events that Boyle expects the University will host once each semester. Student audience member participation will likely lead to student panelists in future discussions, offering a unique opportunity for said students to connect to the community and make a difference. Boyle stresses that we all have this opportunity to engage with the community daily through volunteering for local non-profits, tutoring at a library, or helping others on election day.
Referencing Congress’ low approval ratings, Boyle acknowledges the challenges in state and national government, “Let’s be honest. People are, in general, are frustrated with government… It is hard to find reasonable, fair, and balanced discussion of issues that are central to our communities because much of the media discourse on issues is biased, incomplete, or simply poorly represented.” He focuses on the forum’s opportunity for meaningful dialogue outside of partisanship, stressing positivity, respect, and thoughtful discussion. This, he says, will improve our experience with our community, “I hope that this is one step toward showing how we can share ideas in a respectful way and build connections with others in our community.”
The event will be held at the Boucher Lecture Hall, room number 151, in the Schmucker Science Center Link from 8:00 – 9:30 p.m., and is free and open to students and community members. All are welcome and encouraged to come voice their own perspectives on being actively and positively engaged in West Chester’s community.
Joy Wilson is a fourth-year student majoring in communication studies with a minor in studio art. She can be reached at JW794401@wcupa.edu.