Just outside the Rams Head Food Court in Sykes Student Union, where many temptations for gorging on heaps of food arise, the brothers of the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity hosted their second annual 30-hour fast. On Friday, Feb. 29, it began at 9:30 a.m. and lasting until 3:30 p.m. On Saturday evening, March 1, “Starve for hunger,” presented by Kappa Alpha Psi, raised awareness and funds by gathering donations for a great cause. The brothers were raising money for starving and malnutritioned children in Africa.

“One dollar can feed a child for a day,” Jared Scott, a WCU fourth-year student and programs coordinator for Kappa Alpha Psi, said.

According to Scott, the government, in cooperation with the International Program Organization called World Vision, will match whatever funds are raised. Then, they will purchase food and medical supplies with those funds and ship them to Africa.

Kappa Alpha Psi has been a nationally recognized chapter since 1911. The WCU Kappa Gamma chapter was founded here on campus on Apr. 14, 1980.

It has since been named WCU’s oldest continual Black Greek Organization. The brothers continue to uphold the national motto of “training for leadership.”

Both on- and off-campus, the men of Kappa Alpha Psi hold a distinguished presence as campus leaders and community activist. They exhibited fraternal excellence on Feb. 29 through their famine.

According to WorldVision.org, the international program is recognized on six continents. The organization represents a Christian Humanitarian Group dedicated to working with children, their families and their neighboring communities to help cure the globally plaguing problem of poverty and injustice.

In 2006, 87 percent of World Vision’s total revenue went directly to benefiting the poor. They were named the largest Christian relief organization, and in 2007 they had a budget of $2.6 billion.

As if fasting for 30 hours was not difficult enough for the young men and friends who joined in and supported them, many members continued their busy weekend with the first annual “Skate Wide,” hosted by the Black Men United, an ever-growing organization here on campus.

Darren Lipscomb, WCU student and member of BMU, along with students from Temple, Drexel, Cheney, the University of Pennsylvania and LaSalle, came together following the close of the fast to help raise funds for the women’s luncheon.

At 6 p.m. that evening, the bus departed from Sykes Student Union to transport students into the city for “Skate Wide.” This event cost $10, including transportation and gave students a chance to inline skate to raise money for a good cause.

The Women’s Luncheon, which will be held in Sykes on March 30, 2008, will be hosted by BMU in honor of Women’s History Month.

Upon returning, WCU’s prominent leaders participated in the University’s more recent program, “The Pretzel Project,” which began last semester. This project was designed to not only put food in the bellies of those traveling from town to their local residences, but also to decrease noise as they travel.

As of March 5, Kappa Alpha Psi raised about $300 in personal donations and is still collecting from organizations.

Through weekend devotion and support from those around the campus, the brothers of Kappa Alpha Psi, the men of Black Men United and student body participation, both organizations were able to raise awareness and funds for great causes.

Jessica Todd-Marrone is a third-year student majoring in international relations with minors in journalism and Spanish. She can be reached at JT608859@wcupa.edu.