Tue. Jan 18th, 2022

Women’s Swimming and DivingSenior Wendy Wallace was a double-winner for the Golden Rams. First she won the 500 free and then helped close out the meet by leading the 400 free relay team to a first-place finish.

Wallace ended up with four victories over the entire weekend. She collected a pair of gold medals vs. Bloomsburg by dominating the free and winning the 100 free.

Men’s Swimming and Diving

Junior Andras Schonek captured a pair of events by winning both the 100-yard free and the 100 breast, while sophomore Reggies Shearer took first in the 50-free.

The Golden Rams also received a first-place finish from sophomore Jordy Troyan in the 200 IM and a victory in the one-meter diving event from Micahel Bergen. The junior diver collected 251.60 points.

Men’s Basketball

After giving up a 13-point halftime lead, the West Chester University men’s basketball team defeated Millersville 82-80 Saturday afternoon in an overtime thriller inside Hollinger Field House.

West Chester had five different players score in double figure, including 15 points from Sam Grannum to go along with his 15 rebounds. The Golden Rams improved to-9 overall and 5-4 in the PSAC Est. WCU is now alone in third place in the PSAC East. WCU is now alone in third place in the PSAC East standings.

Womens Basketball

Millersville snapped West Chester’s 18- game PSAC East Division winning streak on Saturday by defeating the Golden Rams 89-47. The Golden Rams fall 13-10 overall and 8-1 in the PSAC East while Millersville improves to 7-2 in the division.

The Golden Rams fell be-hind 44-21 in the first half and could not recover. It was the worst loss at home for WCU since Nov. 22, 1986, when the Golden Rams were beaten by ST. Mary’s (MD) 94-44.

Gymnastics

The West Chester University women’s gymnastics team won its first meet of 2004 on Saturday by defeating Wilson College of Chambersburg, Pa. The victory took place at the Ursisnus College Quad Meet in Collegeville, Pa.

The Golden rams were beaten by host Ursinus, while Penn also defeated WCU too. West Chester in now 1-8 on the season and will return to Ursinus on Thursday for a tri-meet with Penn and the Bears.

Carolyn Krystopolski posted a team -high all-around competition to take fourth overall Sun-day afternoon in the University of Pennsylvania Quad meet. Krystopolski led the Golden Rams by recording a 9.225 on the vault and 8.95 on the bars. The Golden Rams amassed a 180.775 to finish fourth in the four-team meet as WCU fell to 0-6 on the season.

Soccer Awards

Four of West Chester University’s outstanding soccer mentors have been honored by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America for excellence in their sport. The quartet of awards were presented to one of West Chester University’s head coach Kendall Walkes. The honors were presented at the NSCAA Awards Banquet during it s 57th Annual Convention in Charlotte, NC, Janurary 14-18.

Walkes was presented with the Boys Youth National Coach of the Year award after serving as and Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer Coach for 19 years. In 2003 Walkes completed his 14th season as the head coach of the West Chester University’s men’s soccer program. He is just the program’s third heath coach dating back to 1927.

Softball

The West Chester University softball team will be holding its 2004 Offensive Clinic on Sunday afternoons Feb. 15, 22, 29. The event will take place inside the Sturzebecker Health Sciences Center on South Campus adjacent to John A. Farrell Football Stadium

The clinic will run from 1-2pm each Sunday afternoon for players ages 8-high school senior. Participants may choose to come for one, two or all three sessions. Tuition is $25 per session. The 2004 offensive Clinic is specifically designed to work on the mechanics of the offensive game in softball.