Tue. Jan 18th, 2022

After turning around their previous six-game losing streak with several wins, the Golden Rams face a bind after falling to four straight teams, three of which were conference games. The Golden Rams faced two consecutive shutout defeats against the Temple Owls and the Richmond Spiders in Atlantic-10 conference games.

The Temple Owls defeated visiting West Chester with a 3-0 shutout victory in an Atlantic-10 field hockey match at Geasey Field Sunday afternoon.

West Chester entered their third league contest with a 1-1 record in the Atlantic-10 series and left with their second straight league match loss. The Golden Rams are 5-9 overall with a 1-2 A-10 record after Sunday’s game. Temple has a 2-1 Atlantic-10 record after their victory over West Chester, as well as a 7-9 season record.

Caryn Lambright was a key player for the Owls as she pushed in both the second and third goals, putting the game away for Temple.

Temple placed offensive pressure on the Golden Rams early in the game, with a particularly aggressive first half, as they outshot West Chester by a 7-2 margin.

In the first half of play, Bridget Settles tacked on the Owls’ first goal from a penalty corner putting Temple up 1-0 in the 13th minute.

Leah Angstadt, who watched from the sidelines with stress fractures in both of her tibias, said that watching the game from the sidelines changed her perspective on the game.

“It felt like we were playing as individuals, not as a team,”Angstadt said of Temple’s first goal against the Golden Rams. She added that she felt that the team gave up on themselves after they let up the first goal.

Eight minutes after Settles’ goal, Lambright knocked in another for the Owls, off an assist from Kaylee Keener from the right side, giving the Owls a 2-0 lead 21 minutes into the game.

Lambright didn’t cap the scoring there. She started the second half with her second goal of the game, third overall, off of a pass from Mandi Shearer from the right side of the net for the final tally of the game.

The Golden Rams offense was halted as their hosts outshot them by an 11-4 margin overall.

In the second half, West Chester was held to only two shots, both of which were credited as saves to Temple goalkeeper Sarah Dalrymple. Dalrymple earned four saves overall, as well as her fourth shutout this season.

West Chester goalkeeping was split between redshirt freshman Kristen Arnold in the first half and sophomore Gabby Panasiewicz in the second half. Arnold (4-5) suffered the loss in the cage giving up one goal and making two saves. Panasiewicz made two saves and allowed two goals.

Temple will proceed to another Atlantic-10 conference game where they take on Massachusetts.

As painful as shutouts are for the Golden Ram field hockey team, they did not cease after the Sunday afternoon game.

In their fourth A-10 conference game, West Chester was defeated 2-0 by the Richmond Spiders on Friday afternoon at Vonnie Gros Field. The loss marked the Golden Rams’ second straight conference shutout defeat and third straight conference loss.

Although both games were labeled shutouts, Angstadt said that she did not feel the Golden Rams deserved the loss.

“Our game against Richmond was a great fight,” Angstadt said. “We were definitely ready for that game and we gave it our all.”

Dani Pycroft and Jessica Hollis were the two goal scorers from Richmond. Katelin Peterson and Chelsea Davies were credited with the assists.

Pycroft knocked in the team’s first goal off an assist from Chelsea Davies just 4:13 into the first half, putting the Spiders up 1-0.

West Chester retreated to the locker room with a one-goal deficit.

“We still felt pretty optimistic at halftime,” Alyssa Gallen said. “I know the capabilities of our offense and I knew we had the power to turn this game around in the second half.”

In the second half, the Golden Rams were down by one with the chance to tie it up and send the game to overtime. With two minutes left of play, the Spiders fizzled that possibility after freshman Jessica Hollis put the game in the bag with her third goal of the season.

Senior Dani Pycroft leads the Spiders with eight goals this season. Peterson leads Richmond with 19 points on the season.

“Once again we just couldn’t find the back of the net and they did,” Angstadt said. “That was definitely was of our hardest and best games of the season.”

Kristen Arnold received another loss in the cage with two allowed goals and six registered saves. Anna Zarkoski (4-4) took her second season shutout win for Richmond with three saves.

Richmond outshot West Chester by a 12-5 margin.

West Chester’s A-10 record took a hit, now 1-3 in the conference. The visiting Richmond improved their record to 2-2 in the A-10, and 7-9 for the season. Richmond will continue with a conference game against LaSalle on Sunday.

The Golden Rams will face the Lock Haven Lady Eagles on Sunday. Lock Haven had an eight-game winning streak during their season and had an 11-5 overall record and is 2-1 in the Atlantic 10 conference. Their last win was a 4-1 victory on Tuesday versus St. Louis Billikins.

“Our game tomorrow is definitely going to be a challenge,” Angstadt said. “Lock Haven is a good team and we are going to have to put up a good fight.” She continued to say that the team has a shot as long as their offense gets going again.

The Lady Eagles are known for their come-from-behind victories, and will by no means be an easy win.

“We’re looking forward to playing Lock Haven on Sunday,” Alyssa Gallen said. “I’m confident that our offense will pick up and we have every intention of coming back and giving the Lady Eagles a real contest.”

The Golden Rams will travel to Lock Haven on Sunday at noon for another A-10 conference game at Charlotte E. Smith Field.

Brynn Dougherty is a third-year student at West Chester University. She can be reached at LH639694@wcupa.edu.