Wed. Apr 24th, 2024

On a typical Saturday morning on West Chester’s campus, little more than the chirping of birds can be heard when walking through the residential quad. This was not the case a week ago, when students from all over campus came together bright and early on Hollinger Field for fun, physical activity and philanthropy. On Saturday, Nov. 4 and Sunday, Nov. 5, Phi Kappa Sigma Fraternity held its first ever Turkey Bowl to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Twelve teams competed in the flag football tournament and raised over one thousand dollars for the charity, which is Phi Kappa Sigma’s national philanthropy.

The teams, which competed five-on-five, were all fighting for the grand prize – a trophy and a turkey dinner for the entire team. Teams ranged from fraternities and sororities to residence hall groups and friends.

Numerous students also woke up to cheer on their favorite teams as they moved through the ranks of the tournament.

The championship game came down to team RROSS, composed of recreation and leisure staff, and Team Had. In the end team RROSS walked away with the title of Turkey Bowl champions through the collaborative efforts of team members Shawn Robinson, Blake Baker, Matt Oblender, Mike Coyle and Joe Deck.

Phi Kappa Sigma members were very happy with the number of teams that registered as well as the money they were able to raise for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Senior fraternity member, Vince Grim said, “We are very excited with the response from everyone that participated. We had a great time. We hope to do it again next year and raise even more money for such a great cause.”

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society focuses on blood cancer research, education and services for those suffering from related illnesses and their families. It is the largest voluntary organization focusing specifically on blood cancer and related diseases, such as myeloma and Hodgkin’s disease. Many groups such as Phi Kappa Sigma work to support this organization, but its major fundraiser is the Light the Night walks held across the country each year.

Phi Kappa Sigma International Fraternity, founded in 1850 at the University of Pennsylvania, also dedicates countless hours to working with Habitat for Humanity, which is its national community service. The Gamma Theta chapter was founded at West Chester University in 1987.