With global warming on the rise, the world is trying to become more environmentally friendly. Many want to make a change and make others aware of what is happening to our Planet. One student is following through with this goal.Fourth-year philosophy major Noah Zinter is running the West Chester University Environmental Council Green Festival on Tuesday, Jan. 29 from 1 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. This event will be taking place in Sykes Student Union Ballrooms A and B.

“The purpose of the festival is to connect students to the local environmental efforts that already exist,” Zinter said. “I believe that WCU students are really motivated to make a great environmental change for the better. I’d like to help them find out how.”

The idea for the festival originally began as a Capstone project for the WCU Honors college. According to Zinter, that was an incentive to get started.

“I talked to members of the WCU Environmental Council and asked what the greatest need was around campus,” Zinter said. “I found out that despite all the motivation of WCU students to make environmental change, there was barely any connection between students and environmental organizations. I wanted to connect students to what they can do.”

There are quite a few activities planned for the festival. Debra Rowe, an environmental speaker, is scheduled to give the kickoff address at 1 p.m. Rowe is coming to campus to address the faculty on “environmental sustainability” across WCU.

Around 2 p.m. Timothy Ray, Ph D., an English professor, along with other faculty members from the English Department are scheduled to discuss environmental themes in literature. Third-year English education student Kip Migdalias will be reading creative writing pieces pertaining to the environment.

Philosophy professors Helen Schroepfer and Matthew Pierlott will be discussing issues of ethics and justice as it relates to the environment at 3:30 p.m. Kurt Kolansinski, Ph D., and Tim Lutz, Ph D., from the science department will be discussing the science of climate change at 5:30 p.m.

Hal Dean will conclude the festival at 5:30 p.m. by discussing the green aspects of buildings on campus.

Musical guests will be featured, throughout the festival including jazz harpist Gillian Grassie, who has been featured on radio station WXPN.

“This festival will give students the opportunity to find the information they need to make an impact on the environment,” Zinter said.

With this festival, Zinter hopes that the students will take better care of WCU, thus making it a beacon of progress. In return, this will show other universities in the region that a green campus is possible.

According to Zinter’s poster advertisement for the event, “our student body is ready and able to change its impact on the Earth locally with global effects.” Find out how to be a part of that by attending the Green Festival.

“Power only comes from the students,” Zinter said. “They have the ability to make it a realization and make it happen on campus.”

Amanda Tingle is a third-year student majoring in English education with a minor in journalism. She can be reached at AT610629@wcupa.edu.