Wed. May 18th, 2022

The West Chester University women’s soccer team continues to dismantle their opponents as they etched yet another tally in their win column this week.West Chester continues to remain unbeaten and has yet to be scored against which makes them the most difficult team to break defensively.

The Golden Rams welcomed Kutztown to their home field on south campus last week in what is becoming a bitter rivalry between the two PSAC competitors. West Chester has been dominant in recent years against Kutztown, not having lost a game in their last 11 meetings. Kutztown’s last win against West Chester dates back to 2005.

Wednesday’s game would not prove to be any different. Both teams came into the match without sacrificing a loss on the season, therefore guaranteeing that one team would leave disappointed.

The game verified just how competitive the meetings between these two teams are. Neither team managed to get a shot on goal in the first half and the Rams went into halftime locked in a tie with the Golden Bears.

Right before halftime, in the 40th minute, head coach Betty Ann Kempf Townsley put Jen Gangl in the game for Rachel Miller which would end up being the decisive move of the game. Seventeen minutes into the second half, Sarah Oswald placed a corner kick into the box that set Gangl up for the header into the far post.

Gangl’s goal off the bench gave West Chester the 1-0 lead that remained until the end of the game. West Chester had a strong game defensively and left the outcome of the game completely in the hands of the offense. Lyndsie Bernardini did not have to make one save for her fourth straight shutout of the season. She has jumped up to third all time for shutouts.

Kutztown left West Chester’s campus with another disappointing one goal loss to heat up this rivalry. Their last visit to West Chester ended with the Rams winning the PSAC Tournament in yet another one goal game.

In regards to the game, Kutztown head coach Erik Burstein was disappointed with the outcome, but pleased with his team’s performance.

Contrary to past seasons when the conference was split into two divisions, West Chester’s match against Kutztown was the only one of the season. The next possible meeting will not be until post season play in a very likely playoff matchup.

After a tough match up against Kutztown, West Chester easily handled Mansfield in their game on Saturday beating them 6-0. West Chester heavily out shot Mansfield 27-6 in the match with 11 of their shots being on goal.

It only took eight minutes for the Rams to notch their first goal of the game, which came off the boot of Melissa McKeary. Twenty minutes later, Oswald added her fourth goal of the season off of an assist from Jen Hutchinson to finish out the first half scoring.

Tara Malkiewicz opened up the scoring in the second half only three minutes in. Her goal came off of a corner kick that was sent in by Oswald. Gangl added the fourth goal of the day that was quickly followed by Oswald’s second of the day. Oswald still leads the team in goals on the season with five.

After the fifth goal was scored, Mansfield benched their starting goalie, Samatha DeLiere, and put in the back up, Alexis Wilhelm, to finish the game. In the 26:28 that Wilhelm played, West Chester was able to beat her once, off of a goal from Brittany Bakeman. The freshman came off the bench to score her first career goal.

Bernardini was only tested twice en route to her fifth straight shut out. With the loss, Mansfield moves to 1-4-1 on the season and sits in second to last place in the conference. Only Millersville sits lower as they have yet to tally in the win column.

West Chester still leads the PSAC with 12 points. They hold a 6-0 record overall and a 4-0 conference record. The second place team, Bloomsburg, only trails West Chester by three points. The two teams will meet in Bloomsburg on Sept. 25.

West Chester goes back to work on Wednesday when they host East Stroudsburg on their south campus field. ESU is 2-2-1 overall and 1-2-0 in the conference.

Amy Festa is a fourth-year student majoring in English with a minor in journalism. She can be reached at AF649219@wcupa.edu.