Wed. Apr 24th, 2024

Several players are contending for coveted starting spots as positions are up for grabs after the loss of key players who graduated this past year. Head Coach Kathy Krannebitter says she has high hopes for the fresh players and is pleased with the skill level and enthusiasm of her returning upperclassmen.

“We finished with a little competition, and all in all, I think the day went well,” Krannebitter said upon the opening of preseason camp on August 12.

Krannebitter’s team is starting off the preseason as the underdog, as the Golden Rams were picked to finish seventh in the Atlantic 10 in a preseason vote by the loop’s head coaches. Despite the poll, Krannebitter said she was content with the first preseason session.

Krannebitter recently hired Pattie Gillern, who previously worked at Rutgers University with the Scarlet Knights for five years.

Gillern’s role on the team is to assist the coach in every aspect of the program.

While at Rutgers, Gillern mentored the Scarlet Knights to a 14-6 season in 2008, which was the first time since 1999 that Rutgers achieved double digit victories.

She also assisted the team academically, as 13 of the players became a part of the Big East all-academic squad last year, and attained a cumulative grade point average above 3.25.

With the addition of Gillern, the 2010 field hockey team commenced preseason camp on August 12 at Vonnie Gros Field. Krannebitter said she was pleased with the overall tone of the day.

“This was a good day for us. We showed a lot of enthusiasm,” Krannebitter said. “Our freshmen came in skill-wise pretty well. I thought our upperclassmen also did a good job.”

In order to make her starting position decisions, Krannebitter said that she needed to gauge where the team stood in terms of their energy levels and leadership qualities, and her team did not disappoint.

Overall, Krannebitter was pleased with what she saw, but knows where the team needs to work.

“Their condition was decent,” Krannebitter said. “It was better than last year. I think everyone did a pretty good job.”

WCU graduate Joelle Zarefoss’s former position as goalkeeper is being battled out by sophomores Kristen Arnold and Gabby Panasiewicz, as well as freshman Julie Kolmer.

“[Arnold] is a very good athlete with great quickness. If she has a weakness in her technique, she makes up for it in her athleticism,” Krannebitter said of the sophomore.

“[Panasiewicz] has great skills and very good technique. The preseason will be very interesting to watch the two keepers compete for the starting role.”

Krannebitter also admired freshman, Julie Kolmer’s potential as a future goalkeeper.

Veteran players and returning co-captains Brynn Adams and Donna Doubet will secure and anchor positions as backs. Adams is a transfer student from Louisville and has been with the program for a year. She has already established herself as a team leader, and will become the new center back for the 2010 season.

The third spot is being contended for by numerous players, including sophomores Karly Herb, Carley Buckwalter, Lauren Schott and Nicole Henderson. None of the sophomores saw significant playing time last season, but that will change this coming season.

Freshman Stef Pirri will also compete for the position, as well as a possible spot in the midfield.

Senior Kelsie Ward will leave her previous position as center back to fill the spot of former four-year starter, Beth Wong.

“We are looking to replace the experience and leadership of Beth Wong, but I won’t do it if it costs us strength on defense,” Krannebitter said.

Michele Schrift, Leah Angstad, Molly Herlihy and Courtney Wolff will all return to the midfield for the 2010 season. Krannebitter was pleased with Schrift’s performance in the second half of last season.

“She made the [Atlantic 10] all-rookie team and has been working hard in the off-season,” Krannebitter said.

Krannebitter is looking forward to seeing Angstad step up this season.

She also expressed that both Herlihy and Wolff were granted limited playing time last season, and will need to contribute more consistently this fall in order to strengthen their midfield.

Freshmen Britt Scalia, Nancy Stehman and Kelsi Lykens will compete for playing time in the midfield, and the coaching staff insists that they will have every opportunity to do so during the preseason.

Krannebitter said that the young midfielders need to make a contribution for the team to be successful.

Nicole Firorilla previously played both midfield and defense, and she now is shifting to the forward line to replace Kristen Foore, who was lost to an injury.

Krannebritter says that Firorilla looks comfortable in her new forward position.

The offense suffered after the loss of Foore to injury and LeNoir, who transferred.

Alisha Moran, Kayla Gluchowski, Allyssa Gallen and Kate Zunski are other forwards who are expected to do well this season. Freshman Caitlin Dempsey is also expected to contribute this season.

Krannebitter had a positive overall outlook on the team’s ability to be successful this season.

“It’s a good recruiting class. They are very talented and come from great programs,” Krannebitter said. “They have a lot of confidence which is probably one of their best qualities.”

Krannebitter explained that the freshman class will play a vital role, as they play a large part in determining the success of the team.

Although the goalkeeper position is not yet secured, there is high potential in the midfield.

Assuming that the players excel in their new positions, the Golden Rams could rise above their underdog status.

The WCU 2010 field hockey team debuts Saturday, August 28 at 1:00 p.m. against Fairfield at Vonnie Gros Field.

Brynn Dougherty is a fourth-year student at West Chester University. She can be reached at BD670913@wcupa.edu.