West Chester University proudly presents The Curve, a non-profit college radio station broadcasting here on campus. It is a student-run organization that is dedicated to serving students and faculty, by keeping the community aware of upcoming events.

The Curve is run primarily by students who are in charge of and host their own shows. West Chester University Radio (WCUR) is freeform, which gives their disc jockeys total control over which genre of music they play. Their programming generally consists of rock, country, alternative, and electronica.

Different programs are broadcasted throughout each day and every DJ offers different music, entertainment, and giveaways. Programs consist of: “KG and The Mayor,” “Jersey Tahwk,” “Midnight Ramble,” and “Couple Therapy.” They also host a live broadcast of our Golden Rams football and basketball games.

Leigh Antonelli, a fourth-year student at West Chester University studying communications, is currently a DJ for WCUR and has been contributing to the station for the past two years. Antonelli and co-host, Rich DiGiambattista, host “Pillow Talk,” a two-hour segment once a week that discusses various subjects and plays a broad range of old school music. Antonelli is also involved in the promotions and production committees at the station, which she explains is a blast.

Students of WCU dedicate themselves to controlling all aspects of the radio show including organization of events and promotions. “We put together the events, the show schedules, take care of the equipment, and contribute to the website,” said Antonelli. “Every aspect of this station is run by us, which is impressive. I think that in itself is an awesome thing.”

Many current students are unaware of WCUR and the experiences that it offers. WCUR is known for their extensive celebrity appearances, phone interviews, and promotions and giveaways. For the month of October, the “John and Jake Show” wants you to “scream for WCUR” by giving away tickets to The Bates Motel and Haunted Hayride every Thursday morning from 10 to 12. Videos of their visits to The Bates Motel and Pennhurst Asylum can be located on their website (wcur.org). Keep an eye out for WCUR’s sponsorships at upcoming events at The Note and the Sovereign Center in Reading.

“For anyone who hasn’t listened, I’d say the main reason to try it out would be to support your fellow students,” Antonelli said. “College radio is where it’s at.”

WCUR’s station, The Curve, is 91.7 FM and can be reached by students who live within five miles of Sykes Student Union. Students may also access the station by logging onto the website, wcur.org, and clicking the link “Listen Online” to stream it online.

Anyone interested in working with the station or becoming a DJ must sign up at the beginning of the semester at the involvement fair. Training is once a week for approximately 5 weeks and a written test and on-air test must be completed.

So start tuning into The Curve, at 91.7 FM for your chance to win great giveaways and listen to awesome music. Support your fellow classmates and rock on.

Jennifer Mika is a fourth-year student majoring in English with a minor in journalism. She can be reached at JM653231@wcupa.edu.