Wed. Apr 24th, 2024

Despite a CD given out to students early in the semester containing anti-virus software, there are still computer networking problems for resident students because not everyone that is connected to the campus network has taken the appropriate steps to clean their machines and install the proper anti-virus software on their computers.The Network Manager on campus has been able to track computers that have Internet problems using software called Campus Manager. The software discovers the various students creating network problems by locating their Ethernet card number. Once the number is traced, the software locates which campus building the machine is plugged into, who is using the machine, and what the problem is.

If a student has a virus on his or her computer, it creates problems for an entire building. For instance, if a student living in Goshen Hall has a virus and is trying to connect to the campus network and Internet, it creates Internet problems for other people living in Goshen Hall.

Viruses slow down the network. Once the Campus Manager software used by West Chester University?s Network Manager finds a virus on a computer, the machine is directed to a Web site. On the Web site, there are steps listed for the computer?s user to follow.

The Web site mainly warns the student that their machine is infected with a virus and they should install anti-virus software on their machine to fix the problem. “If the machines are clean, they?ll help Resnet and themselves,” said WCU?s Network Manager.

The information contained on the Web site is also available on the CD distributed to students at the beginning of the semester. The CD also has anti-virus software and updates available to download for free. Students can still obtain the CD from the Smart Start Center in Anderson Hall on campus. Resident Assistants in the South Campus apartments and the residence halls can also help students obtain the CD.

Students should also scan their machine daily for viruses, and download the appropriate anti-virus software updates so their anti-virus software is not outdated and inefficient. If students are not sure how to clean their computer for viruses or how to scan their computer for viruses, they can take their computer to the Smart Start Center in Anderson, where they can get their computer cleaned or scanned for free.

The most common viruses discovered on computers this semester by the Campus Manager software have been the Trojan Horse Virus and the Adware virus. Computers catch the viruses mostly from downloads. So far this semester, more than 50 machines have been cleaned, according to the Network Manager.

Viruses are not the only problem that create network trouble. Ethernet cables and network cards are often reasons why resident students have no connection to the Internet or have a slow connection. If a student believes their Ethernet cable or network card is posing a problem, they should check to see if their roommate or neighbor is having connection problems as well. If a student does have a poor or wrong cable, they could receive a new cable for free from Resnet.