Mon. May 16th, 2022

On March 18 WCU’s Brandywine Hall was the first residential facility on campus to host a blood drive in celebration of Red Cross Month. During the rest of the month, the Penn-Jersey American Red Cross workers will be accepting blood donations at the following campus locations: Allegheny Hall, March 29th 10:00am-8:00 p.m.

Village/South Campus, March 31st 1:00-7:00 p.m.

When the American Red Cross was first established in 1881, much of its contributions were only received after national or worldwide disasters, and the organization held no standard fundraising events. During WWI the American Red Cross raised money for medical supplies for the military, and after the success of the first War Fund drive, they began organizing annual “Roll Call” events. During WWII President Franklin Roosevelt declared March “Red Cross Month” in 1943. When the fundraising goal of $125 million was surpassed by $21 million, the organization was overwhelmed and decided to make the event an annual occurrence.

Today, “Red Cross Month” is one of the organization’s largest campaigns. While the American Red Cross could certainly use monetary donations, a cost-free way to help is to donate blood. Due to many specific eligibility requirements, only a mere 38 percent of the population is able to donate blood and of that percentage, only 10 percent actually do donate. In order to ensure the health of blood recipients and donors, donation requirements range, from weight to foreign travel history. To read all eligibility requirements, visit www.redcrossblood.org.

Carol Fritz is a West Chester University student majoring in communication studies. She can be reached at CF716002@wcupa.edu.