For the first time in history, West Chester University will be having an official HIV testing day. WCU Rapid HIV Testing Day is scheduled for Wednesday, March 31 from 10:00-3:00 p.m. in the Sykes Student Union parking lot. The event is sponsored by West Chester University, Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania and the Mazzoni Center. Several student organizations have jumped on board to show their support for this event. These organizations include: VOX, The Women’s Center Club, Black Student Union, Sykes Union Advisory Board, Active Minds, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Honors Student Association, Health and Physical Education Club, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc, Chi Upsilon Sigma Latin Sorority, Inc., LASO, the Peer Educators and several other organizations. HIV is an acronym for the “human immunodeficiency virus.” It can be spread in a variety of ways including through breast milk, blood, semen and vaginal fluids. Heterosexual intercourse is the most common infection route worldwide. Getting tested is the only way to know for sure whether you have been infected with HIV. In addition, it is common for people to go long periods of time without experiencing symptoms secondary to the virus. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an estimated 21% of the HIV-infected persons in the United States do not know that they are infected.

Through collaboration with one of the most experienced HIV testing centers in our region, the WCU Health and Wellness Center was able to organize this event to provide FREE and CONFIDENTIAL testing for ALL WCU students. There is no need to make an appointment; just show up between 10:00 and 3:00 p.m. on March 31.

You will know your status within 20 minutes after a quick and safe finger prick by some of the best health care professionals in the area. If you do not wish to stay at the mobile testing unit while waiting for results, you can come back any point up until 3:00 p.m. You can even get your results after March 31st, but then you are responsible for getting to the Mazzoni Center in Philadelphia to receive them. All results will be kept on file with the Mazzoni Center for 30 days.

Counseling and resources will be available for everyone who decides to get tested. The WCU Health and Wellness Center staff will be on site with free food, drinks and activities while you wait for your results.

The WCU Health and Wellness Center hopes that you will take advantage of this free opportunity to take the test and take control at the WCU HIV Testing Day. For more information, please contact Alicia Hahn, Assistant Coordinator of Wellness Programs, ahahn@wcupa.edu.