Wed. Apr 24th, 2024

One week after losing their chance at the Sweet 16 tournament in April, the West Chester University Lady Ram rugby squad annihilated James Madison University in the consolations of the Mid Atlantic Rugby Football Union tournament 55-0.It was a passing of the torch, so to speak, as a display of young, upcoming talent dominated the game for the Golden Rams. Sara Waltman was the MVP of the contest for West Chester, scoring three trys and converting one to end the game with 17 points total.

Sophomore Anna McGlade started up the scoring for the Golden Rams. Ten minutes into the first half, she broke free for a 22-meter run to break the try line and put West Chester out to an early lead, which they would never look back from.

Junior Megan Lamm was one of the few upper classmen to score in the match. Usually the trusty conversion kicker, she showed off her strength and scored a try this time. She converted her own try to put West Chester up 12-0.

It was a great day for Lamm, who scored that try and converted four others to end the day with 12 points total.

It was then time for the freshman Waltman to start her rampage. Nineteen minutes into the first half, she broke loose for a 30-meter run into the trizone. That score put West Chester on top 17-0.

Ten minutes later, she broke free of the James Madison ruggers once again, this time for a 15-meter score. After one of Lamm’s conversions, the score was 24-0, and West Chester had a commanding lead.

Cheryl Johnson closed out the Lady Rams’ scoring in the first half with a late try of her own. Streaking down the sideline, the always fast Johnson burned the competition for a most impressive 60-meter score. After Lamm’s third conversion, the score at the first buzzer was 31-0.

Scoring in the second half was less frequent and harder to attain for the Lady Rams, but their defense continued to hold strong, and the offense managed three scores to complete the domination of JMU.

Sophomore Megan Otto scored one of those three trys in the second half. Senior Maureen Rae added another, and with one of those being converted, the score was 45-0 late in the second half. At that point, Waltman scored her final try of the game, with the conversion making the score 52-0.

A penalty kick accounted for the final three points of the game. For Waltman and Otto, it was the first try scored in their young collegiate career.

While the postseason is lost for this season, the rest of the season is still of great importance. The outcome of this game shows that there is much potential for the future of this team.

Of the 41-player roster, only five seniors are leaving the team, with one (Sasha Stauffer) having already graduated in the fall. The team is young, and full of talent. One thing they need to go far next season is experience.

On Saturday, the Lady Rams showed once again the caliber team they are with a 62-14 romping of Doylestown.

Junior Brittney Miller shared the day’s leading scoring with Megan Lamm, as each of them registered 15 points in the match, accounting for half of the Golden Rams’ total.

Sara Glick was the first Golden Ram to score, opening up the game with a 5-meter try effort. The conversion made the score 7-0.

Anna McGlade added a second first half try, giving the Lady Rams a 14-0 lead after the conversion. Doylestown managed to keep it close early on, scoring 14 points in the first half. That would be all though, as Miller scored two of her three trys in the first half on runs of 30 plus meters.

Joining Miller with trys in the second half were Mary Bocchino and Sara Waltman. Bocchino notched two trys, and Waltman added a conversion to end with seven points.

The final game of the season for the Lady Rams is home against York College this Saturday. This game will be in celebration of Senior Day, as the senior women on the team will give their last hurrah as a collegiate athlete.

This game will be crucial to the coaching staff and players as well. This is a chance for next year’s talent to get some playing time and real game time experience under their belt.

Also, coach Tony DeRemer and his staff will have a chance to evaluate what sort of talent they have where, and what they need to look for in the offseason.

The postseason is out of site for the first time in four years, but West Chester women’s rugby has already begun preparation for next year’s fall campaign.

Ryan Frisco is a third-year student majoring in Communication studies. He can be reached at RF648257@wcupa.edu.