Sun. Aug 7th, 2022

On Sunday, March 28 at 11 a.m., more than 115 participants attended the first annual Eileen Haverluk Victorious memorial 5k run on South Campus. The brothers of Beta Theta Pi hosted the event in honor of Eileen Haverluk, the mother of a Beta brother, Trevor Haverluk, graduate of WCU in 2008. Haverluk lost her long battle with breast cancer, but according to family, friends and community members, she still remains an inspiration to many lives. With help from sponsors and volunteers, the event was able to raise $2,000 and counting. Wesley College in Delaware raised over $400 alone. Some of the other sponsors donated money and gift cards. The donations came from The Running Store, Goshen Hall RHA, UPS Store Parkway, WCU Bookstore, Dominoes, Barnaby’s, Doc McGrogan’s and Sprinkles Frozen Yogurt.

Participants included students, family members of students, community members, and a number of members from various organizations on campus. Runners and walkers were encouraged by the upbeat music, free pizza, and water bottles that were passed out after the race.

As the last of the walkers crossed the finish line, Trevor Haverluk shared a few words about his mother and how much the event meant to him and his entire family. After Haverluk thanked everyone involved for helping with the memorial, the winners were announced.

The male winner was 23 year old Ryan Bair, who came in just over 17 minutes. The female winner was Marilyn Wellnitz, 19 who finished the race in just under 20 minutes. The other results and times from the race can be found at http://runccrs.com/Results/wcuvictorious.htm. The award for organization with the most participants went to Alpha Sigma Tau, but the brothers of Beta want to thank every participant for their attendance.

After being so successful with the event, the brothers of Beta Theta Pi have made the decision to continue the Eileen Haverluk 5k event in the future as their annual spring philanthropy event.

Lindsay Lynch is majoring in communications studies with a minor in journalism. She can be reached at LL628475@wcupa.edu.