Wed. Jan 19th, 2022

The West Chester University Dance Team has grooved their way into the spotlight this semester as a self-sufficient, respectable organization.Upon being named squad captain last year, Senior Amanda Hayduk has taken her team to a new level. The squad started out as an on-campus, student-run program that performed during the halftime of men’s basketball games, pep rallies and homecoming activities, such as the parade. They are now making a name for themselves on campus that has nothing to do with basketball games or pep rallies.

Last year, the Student Government Association (SGA) supported the team by giving them $3,500. With the help of extremely successful fundraising events, the team raised the necessary $12,000 to send themselves to nationals. They held a dance contest at Coyote Crossing and performed at a Philadelphia 76ers game as well as a club in Philadelphia called Shampoo Night Club.

At their first trip to nationals, the team placed ninth out of 20 in hip-hop, and seventeenth out of 28 in the dance category of their division. Then, with a trip to the Garden State Dance Competition, the team ranked first in hip hop in their division.

“We hope to not only make a name for ourselves here at West Chester, but also around the country as a nationally ranked dance team” Hayduk said in regards to their goals for the upcoming semester. “We are a student run organization that has come very far and worked very hard.”

The team not only choreographs their own dances, they also hold their own auditions, practices and fund raising events. With the money they raise, they pay for their uniforms, warm-ups, bags and any other necessary equipment. They are in complete control of their own success.

Along with Hayduk is Co-captain Christina Hydzik, treasurer Kayla Doroba, Fund raising Chair Rachel Demain and Program Advisor Professor Gretchen Studlien-Webb. Together they lead the team to continue and catch the eyes of audiences wherever they go.

“We have been a lot more active on and off campus,” Hayduk adds about the team.

Tryouts for next semester will be held in April. Any interested dancers can contact Captain Amanda Hayduk at her school e-mail address AH575904@wcupa.edu.