As the month of October is quickly approaching, a group of students have come together to create a new organization known as Autism Speaks U, the collegiate version of Autism Speaks.

Autism Speaks is a nation-wide organization that promotes the autism advocacy and conducts research on the effects of autism and the ways to further improve those with autism. Autism Speaks also provides a small portion of proceeds to families with autistic children and family members who are in need of therapy.

Autism is a brain disorder that results in the inability to have healthy social interactions and relationships, communication problems, and limited activities when it comes to physical activities and games, such as sports. Because it tends to be a genetic problem, one in 88 people are diagnosed with autism and one in 55 people diagnosed are boys. In order to overcome the challenges of being diagnosed, people with autism are suggested to go through management and therapy programs that are modified to the individual’s needs. Although there is no national medication to assist with the behavioral problems, the therapy does help those diagnosed progress and become more able to socialize.

Since many people are unaware of the above information, it is time to learn more about West Chester’s Autism Speaks chapter. Jennifer Allen, Samantha Sallade, and David Wooten, members of the group starting the organization on campus, talked about their motivation for creating the West Chester University chapter of Autism Speaks. Allen  has first-hand experience with autism, for she has cousins who deal with it on a daily basis. Allen says that watching her cousins’ social progress through the years has been amazing. Sallade, on the other hand, interned at Spark, an autism center, over the past summer and absolutely loved it. And with enthusiasm from both Allen and Sallade, Wooten just absorbed their passion and motivation and has also jumped on board to assist in trying to get the West Chester chapter of Autism Speaks approved.

Once approved, Autism Speaks plans to commit to a lot of community service events, such as the 2012 Walk Now for Autism Speaks, institute a mentor program, fundraise, and start a program of pen pals with local schools in the area. At the moment, Autism Speaks U is planning a three-on-three fundraiser basketball game on South Campus to raise awareness for what autism is about and how West Chester students can help to make a difference in a child’s life.

Currently, Autism Speaks U is looking for new members to join. If interested, the organization meets on Wednesday evenings at 7:30 p.m. in Brandywine Hall 004. If students are unable to attend the meetings but would like to be updated on the organization, e-mail Jennifer Allen at JA760262@wcupa.edu or the secretary, Emily Polefka at EP766180@wcupa.edu. For more information on Autism Speaks, students can visit their national website at www.autismspeaks.org.

Amy Shah is a first-year student majoring in computer science. She can be reached at AS793452@wcupa.edu.