As the snow continues to fall outside, warm weather seems impossible to think of. Choosing to work for that beach body also seems like something there is plenty of time to do. Two West Chester students look ahead to physical fitness and summer camps.

Desiree Gaunt and Catherine Baskin, two students minoring in adapted physical education, have already began preparing for the New Jersey Marathon, on May 2, in Longwood, N.J., to benefit West Chester’s own CampAbilities.

CampAbilities is a camp held for children between the age of seven to 17 who are blind and visually impaired. Over Memorial day weekend, West Chester’s south campus hosts CampAbilities to introduce these children to an array of sports such as beep baseball, goalball and swimming, along with many other activities. It has been proven that children who suffer from vision loss do not lead active lifestyles. Instead, CampAbilities empowers youth to get up and be active.

“There are many different ways to accomplish a goal,” Baskin said. “You just need to find what works for you.”

Consolers encourage campers’ food choices and improve their self-esteem and confidence through physical activity, and ultimately help achieve these camper’s physical goals. This will be Gaunt’s first summer with CampAbilities.

Gaunt has always been an athlete, and became a runner three years ago.

“I started with a 5K (3.1 miles) that I never thought I’d finish… and it sort of became addicting,” Gaunt said.

Since then she’s taken on bigger things, including running Broad Street in Philadelphia, and the Philly ING Distance 1/2 Marathon. Deciding to do a marathon was something more significant for Gaunt.

“I thought about it for a while and decided I want to complete if for something besides myself,” Gaunt said. “It’s a cause bigger than me.”

She has many hopes for her upcoming marathon. She plans on making CampAbilities a reoccurring partner with the New Jersey Marathon. Each year, more money would be given to the camp. While Gaunt will be running, Baskin, who is unable to run due to an injured knee, will be heading the station at the expo and the marathon.

Baskin has already completed her requirements for her minor, but continues to work with Camp Abilities.

“I’m hooked!” Baskin said.

Gaunt brought the idea of the marathon to Baskin and the rest of the CampAbilities staff who were eager to hop onboard. The camp is run solely on volunteers and donations, which is why it’s important to find ways to gain support and raise money.

“Being blind or visually impaired is no reason to have a sedentary lifestyle,” Baskin said, “I know many elite athletes who are blind, and (they) are some of the most fit people I know.”

Gaunt is more than excited for her first marathon, all 26.2 miles of it. As of now, her and Baskin, along with the rest of the Camp Abilities Team, are looking for more students to get involved.

“This marathon can really become a community event,” Baskin said.

Students can run in the marathon to support CampAbilities or help at the stand.

Carol Fritz is a West Chester University student. She can be reached at CF716022@wcupa.edu.