Sun. Jan 23rd, 2022

This is a drill. We repeat this is just a drill.Thursday night, the call went out to rescue services, including Good Fellowship, Fame Fire Company and West Chester University?s Public Safety, for a test of the emergency response network. Although it was just a drill, it was simulated to be treated as the real thing.

Lt. Jon Brill of WCU?s public safety was on hand for the drill. “We are simulating like a vehicle accident [occurred],” said Brill, adding that there would also be simulating of a partial structure collapse. The rescue services arrived at the Matlack parking garage at 7:22 p.m. to find smoke billowing out of the second story.

Upon arriving on the second story of the garage they found three cars and a dozen students, most of whom were screaming for help. All of this is part of the training that students must go through before becoming EMTs at Good Fellowship.

“There are two purposes,” said Diane Powers, the coordinator for the training institute at Good Fellowship. “The first is to expose the student to a scenario on a grand scale. The second is to work with the fire department and public safety. It fosters team work.”

To help with the drill, students from Dr. Yoko Hashimoto-Sinclair?s make up class took part. They used their make-up training to plaster fake blood and wounds to look like they had been in a car accident.

Hashimoto-Sinclair?s class has been helping out with the past three or four drills. Hashimoto-Sinclair said it is good for the students because it helps them work on their technique. The drill, which is conducted at different locations each time, is done twice a year, Powers said.

It is conducted once in the spring and once in the fall as part of each training session. The current trainees will be graduating in two weeks.

Hilary Glime, 20, a senior communication studies major, was one of the students taking part in the drill. Though she said it was fun she also added, “I was scared.”

Another person acting as a victim was Cindy Jones, 21, a senior pre-med major. Jones had gone through the same drill a year ago; however, she was on the opposite side working as a trainee then. She said the experience helped her to see the other side of the rescue process.

“You can see what people are doing wrong. I hope I don?t do that,” Jones said with a laugh, adding “You realize it could happen to you.