Mon. Aug 8th, 2022

On Tuesday night, the Student Government Association convened for their first meeting of the new term to discuss some key issues facing West Chester University, as well as to hold elections to fill several vacated seats.Brad Moyer was elected and sworn in as SGA’s new Parliamentarian, an executive board position. Moyer, who has been the Parliamentarian for both OCCA and the Friar’s Society in the past, beat out fellow nominees Colby Langweiler and Taylor McDonnell for the role.

“Paul Tamke, the person who was (in the role) before me, did an excellent, excellent job and I have big shoes to fill coming in. I’ll always be in debt to the guy,” Moyer said.

Moyer has identified three aspects of college life that he would like to work to improve, namely student organizations, the SGA bylaws and the University’s policies on placing student accounts “on hold.”

“What I want to try and do is to set some policies in place to have better quality organizations coming in and be a little bit stricter in how we do that,” he said, adding that this would in turn strengthen organizations already on campus.

Rounding out the rest of the night’s elections were Ben Secka, who won the Off-Campus Senate seat, Melina Voorhees, who won the college of Business and Public Affairs seat, Mike Richards won was victorious in his bid for the Advancement seat and Jodi Wash who claimed the Informational Research seat.

SGA is now operating with all Senate seats filled, according to President Anthony DiJiacomo, though there are still openings remaining for Special Assignment spots.

Earlier in the night, DiJiacomo updated the Senate and the Executive Board on the status of the new “Sykes After Dark” programs. He added that “around 150 people” made it to last weekend’s Snow Dance, “which was pretty good” for the revamped program’s first night out.

SGA Secretary Meghan Dun bought the rest of the SGA up to speed on the status of a proposed “Late Night Bus,” which would transport students into and out of the borough during the weekend.

“Hopefully it will help to promote student traffic into town in general,” Dun said, adding that the bus “should get going in the next two or three weeks.”

The cost of the bus service will be “about one or two dollars,” according to Dun. She went on to say that the long term plan included giving students the option to pay by using their RamCard.

Also bought up last night was the parking garage scheduled to be built across the street from the site of the now demolished Ramsey Hall.

“All is moving forward on the parking garage,” said SGA’s Trustee Richard Miller.

The university has been locked in litigation with the surrounding community over the construction of the garage because of fears that the structure will negatively affect local property prices. Miller pointed out that WCU recently won its second court case on the matter and that the local residents are still debating whether or not to pursue another appeal.

“It will be at least 18 months before we can get going (in terms of construction),” said DiJiacomo.

On the subject of on-campus construction, SGA Advisor Matthew Bricketto noted the progress being made on the Recreation Center project that WCU has undertaken.

“It’s really neat to look over at the pile on the Ramsey Hall site and know that’s where the Rec Center is going to be,” Bricketto said.

Colin McGlinchey is a fifth-year student majoring in English with a minor in journalism. He can be reached at QuadEIC@wcupa.edu.