On April 4, the Purple and Gold Club hosted a Game-a-thon.  This event acted as the kick-off event for Student Annual Giving Month.  The Game-a-thon was held in Room 10A in Sykes Student Union from 7 to 9 p.m.   

Students paid $2 to attend the event, and all attendees were entered to win a $100 Visa Gift Card.

Students competed in a trivia competition, as well as a water pong competition.  The trivia questions were displayed on an 80-inch television.  The questions ranged from WCU’s history to common knowledge question.  The questions got harder as the game went on.  

One question from the night was:  “What famous journalist, author, statesman, and former slave gave their last public speech on West Chester’s campus on February 1, 1895?”  The answer was Frederick Douglass.  

The trivia competition allowed students to learn more about the university and have fun at the same time.

The water pong contest was also a big hit.  Many students did not know the rules of water pong, but the more seasoned players taught them the rules.  

For those students not interested in competing in the trivia tournament or the water pong contest, there were also some board games available.  Music played through the speakers in the room.  

Aramark/New Street Catering provided cookies, pretzels, and seven-layer dip, and  student Michelle Silversein was the lucky winner of the $100 Visa Gift Card.

“We can’t wait until we have more people involved in the Purple and Gold Club so we can host more events like this one,” said Purple and Gold Club president Andrew Wagner.

The Game-a-Thon served as the beginning of Student Annual Giving Month.  The WCU Foundation is working alongside the Purple and Gold Club and the Parents Foundation to raise $3,000 in the month of April.  If students raise $1,500, the Parents Fund will match it.  

All money raised throughout the month will go to the Purple and Gold Student Emergency Scholarships.  Unexpected financial emergencies can prevent students from continuing their education.  With the emergency scholarships, students are able to pay for their textbooks, tuition, food, and housing.  

The Purple and Gold Club will be collecting donations throughout the month for these scholarships.  “Bleed Purple and Give Gold” signs will be at all Purple and Gold Club events throughout the month, reminding students to donate.  Students can also donate to the scholarships by going to the WCU Foundation (at 202 Carter Drive) or by visiting wcufoundation.org/givegold.  Any size donation helps and can make a huge difference in fellow students’ lives.

The Purple and Gold Club will be hosting other events throughout the rest of the semester as well.  Students can donate at these events (or simply attend to become more involved).  Students are encouraged to join the club on Orgsync to become more informed. 

Throughout the week of April 21 to 27, the club will be collecting unused school supplies for children in need.  Boxes will be available for donations in the residence halls.  The supplies will be organized on Maggie Tripp Day of Service on April 28.  On that same day, there will be a free barbecue, celebrating Alumni Weekend, in the residential quad from 12 to 3 p.m.

The next big Purple and Gold Club event will be on April 24.  Banana Night will take place in the residential quad, and students will be able to buy inexpensive banana deserts.  

All students are encouraged to come out to the events and see all that Purple and Gold Club has to offer.

Theresa Kelly is a first year student majoring in English Literature Secondary Education.  She can reached at TK780615@wcupa.edu .