Tue. Apr 16th, 2024

The highly anticipated week of spring semester has arrived: Greek Week 2013. From April 14 to April 21, members of Fraternity and Sorority Life will participate in friendly competition amongst chapters and a number of service projects. 15 teams will be competing for the title and Glory of being Greek Week Champions. Throughout the week, focus will be put on personal development, unity, ritual, service, friendship, respect, and acceptance.

The main idea of Greek Week is to raise money for the community’s shared philanthropy, Camp Dream Catcher, which benefits families affected and infected by HIV/AIDS. Donations will be collected throughout the week via Penny Wars in Sykes from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day. Donations at other events will also go to the cause. 

The week officially kicks off on Sunday with From Greek From Hired, an event hosted by the Twardowski Career Development Center. This event is open to juniors and seniors as an opportunity to network with WCU fraternity and sorority alumni in various fields, improve their resumes, and translate their fraternity and sorority life experience into professional success.

An opening ceremony to Greek Week will occur Monday evening at 6 p.m., before the Lip Sync Competition. Two members from every team carry their team flag into Asplundh Concert Hall and share their creed, motto, or stroll. Lip Sync will follow at 6:30 p.m. The evening consists of 15 teams each performing a skit, dance, and lip sync. Admission is $2 and everyone is guaranteed an entertaining time. Teams will be judged on music, skit, dance, and costume as well as presentation, inclusion of unity, and knowledge of material. All are welcome. 

Tuesday evening, beginning at 6 p.m., one representative from each chapter will compete for the title of Greek God and Goddess. The format of this event is that of a pageant. Admission is $2 in Sykes Theatre, but space is limited so chapters are asked to abide by previously communicated percentage numbers. Contestants will be given a chance to creatively introduce themselves, share a personal talent, and showcase their overall presence in formal wear. Contestants will also participate in a question and answer round.

A new addition to Greek Week is Dodge Ball Night on Wednesday. The tournament begins at 6 p.m. in the South Campus Gyms; each team will have a team of 10 represented.

Thursday, a Canned Food Sculpture Competition will be held in Sykes Ballrooms. The teams will start their sculpture at 12 p.m. and judging will be held at 2 p.m. The purpose of the event is to create a sculpture using cans to represent your team, the community, and Greek Olympics. In the process, the Fraternity and Sorority Community will donate over 8,000 pounds of food to the Chester County Food Bank. 

Greek Pool Games will take place on Friday at 6 p.m. In the South Campus Pools, teams will compete in a bucket bailout relay and minute to win it. 

Field Games are on Saturday at Farrell Stadium starting at 12:30 p.m. Each team will compete in a water balloon toss, a human pyramid, tug-of-war, and a football throw. Relays such as the 4-by-1, crab walk, wheel barrel race, leapfrog, bear crawl, and three-legged race will also take place. A new addition this year is the Chariot Race, in which three members of each organization will strive for the fastest time. 

Early Sunday morning, Adopt-A-Block will be held at 11 a.m. Members of Fraternity and Sorority Life will roam through the West Chester borough and clean up trash. After Adopt-A-Block, Sunday’s Fraternity and Sorority Awards ceremony will bring Greek Week to a close. Greek Week Champions will be named at the ceremony as well as recognition to an emerging Greek Leader, 5 Star chapters, and Overall Greek Leader of the year.

The Greek community encourages all members of the West Chester community to help support the cause and attend as many events as possible! For updates throughout the week, follow the Inter-Greek Council on twitter, WCU_IGC, or “like” their page on Facebook, WCU Greek Week 2013.

Jennifer Bowers is a second-year student majoring in business marketing. She can be reached at JB758558@wcupa.edu.