Sun. Jan 23rd, 2022

To the Editor,

Recycling is becoming very popular in our society and we are told that it’s an easy way to do your part. It’s easy to recycle when we have a container in our homes or are walking down the street and a recycling bin is in our path, but what happens when these are not an option? Most people will probably just throw their recyclables into the garbage, instead of searching for a recycling bin. As a student at Penn State, I worked on a project to help curb the recycling problems in our downtown apartments. Through surveys, apartment residents admitted that they would recycle if it were more convenient for them, especially since many residents had to walk outside to recycle. So we began a project of getting recycling bins in the lobbies of apartment complexes. By doing this we hoped to increase the amount of recycled materials in the area and raise awareness about recycling. College towns across the country have large populations and they can easily help improve recycling rates. Students have busy lives and they do not want to spend their time searching for a place to recycle. Thus, colleges need to make sure that recycling containers are readily available in all areas, including dorms, dining halls, apartment areas, and sidewalks. It is not an issue of wanting to do it; it is an issue of convenience. I think now people need to take action and take steps to increase recycling rates across the country. Get recycling bins placed in more locations in your school, apartment building, or hometown. Next to every trashcan there should be a recycling bin, so there is not excuse for not recycling. Contact the people in charge and convince them that this is one way they can help the environment.

-Janice Redington

To the Editor,

My freshman year at WCU, I was on a very tight budget, so i decided to look for a job. My first glance was to the WCU Quad. I immediately found a job that seemed perfect for any incoming freshman: a cleaning job that paid $12 an hour and was walking distance from campus. I called the number and soon met with the man. He lived in an apartment close to the university off of Rosedale Avenue. He was an older man who lived alone. He never mentioned his last name or, as I know now, his full first name. Every time I went to clean, I always had an eerie feeling in my stomach. I often complained to my friends about how “creepy” he was and how they should come looking for me if I wasn’t back in a certain period of time. I worked for him for about four weeks, cleaning once a week. I decided to not go back after he encouraged me to go with him to an art show. Though it may have been innocent, it did not sit right with me. I never returned his phone calls after that. Now, years later, I’m a senior. Just last night, my friend was talking about her new application on her iPhone. It was a free application that allowed you to put in your address and see the ten closest child sex offenders who lived near you. As my boyfriend jokingly put in his address and started scrolling through the names and pictures, my heart stopped. I was staring at the face of the man who I had worked for my freshman year. Though the application didn’t provide details of the charge, the fact is that the man is a child sex offender. He lives within less than 1000 feet of campus. Though I realize most college students are no longer minors, this fact was horrifying to me. My point, however, and what was most horrifying, was where I obtained this job. I got a job working for a child sex offender through the WCU Quad. I realize that there are laws against discrimination, so you had to allow him to post the classifieds advertisement. However, there are plenty of laws that allow you to “red flag” sex offenders. I don’t know if this man has advertised recently, but the fact is that he probably has some innocent freshman girl scrubbing his kitchen floor right now. I don’t know what action you can take, but I believe that action must be taken. No girl should be working for this man. I will provide his name and address below so that you can check your records. I realize you are busy, but just because he was a child sex offender doesn’t mean that he won’t strike at adults as well. I did not provide his name and address in the letter as to provide some amount of discretion. Thank you.

-Rosemary Kolmus, Student at West Chester University